Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, July 5, 2021

Memoir Monday, July 5, 1961

Just sixty years ago!! Honestly, was the person who types this now ever that young and a bit silly and also confused?

July 5, 1961 Wed

I don’t know how I did it but I was up at 6:30 this morning. I fed, ate and was off by 8:45. The chores done, I came back and went up town. I got a letter from Wayne today. That decided me against going to see G. I worked on shirt patterns some this morning. I was sitting out on the porch when G&V drove up the street. I had a pair of Charlie Mike’s wasp nests. I guess G thought I’d throw them at him because he gave me a real dumb look. I kept busy all day, washing more windows etc. I wrote Wayne (gotta hang on to him) and took his letter up  On my way up to the Big Ben for a refresh I ran into Eric Stadleman and another guy goofing off. Jan Nobles works at the Texaco and was talking to a guy. “They’re trying to make a big impression but they can’t,” he said. Of course he was talking about something else, but my sense of humor got the joke! As I came out, G drove up the street and turned in right in front of me. I had to look at  him and I smiled just a  little. He turned around and went down to Wombacher’s for a beer, getting there just in time to walk in front of me. Why can’t we stay apart? I walked slowly down the hill and he passed me again. It’s been going on for two years now. Will it never end? I did the chores, ate and fed Alex while Mom tried her hand at printing some pictures. I love to take care of kids. I want at least four. I’ve go to go to Cottonwood tomorrow. A year ago we (G and I) talked up town about him returning my lighter box. History repeats itself, no? Someday I’ll have to tell him, talking straight like I do to Wayne. That’s the only solution. Bye.

Oh my. I know we'd watched fireworks the night before. That may have been a time Charlie Mike and I hiked over to Peck's Lake to see the show closer than from our front steps.  I think Dad was off on a trip so we would have taken advantage. Mom wasn't big on saying no unless what we asked was way over the top.

I clearly had guys on the brain. Well, I was just eighteen and basically had the social life of a twelve year old. B-o-r-i-n-g!!! Wayne was the pen pal I have mentioned off and on. We corresponded for about three years but he never made it from Washington down to Arizona. "G" was a problematic crush I struggled with for several years--a somewhat older local guy who would have taken advantage if given much chance. I probably lucked out there as it could have gotten dicey. He was One Big Flirt and I was gullible and a bit naive.

Eric Stadelman was a former clasmate--and NOT a favorite one!-- who had graduated in May. He was killed in an auto accident a few years later. I find sympathy a little hard as I knew he liked to drive on the wrong side of the road with his lights off and turn them on when an aproaching car got close. A mean kind of chicken game!! Still I guess it was sad; I think he was married and maybe had a kid? Jan had graduated the year before and was probably working summers while going to college. No longer an object of my interest but still a nice guy. That little vignette makes me giggle, anyway. 

I wanted four kids!?! Yikes. I don't think so. As fate had it, I was not to have any except for raising a couple of step kids. 

Photos:  I did not say who I rode out to the pasture chores but it is likely to have been Trixie, one of my favorite little mules. That is my saddle she was carrying. Then there Alex and I are on the front steps--that July 4th probably. Last a panorama put together from two snap shots showing Peck's Lake. (I tried that a lot--some came out pretty good!) That clear area in the middle in the horseshoe bend is where they did the fireworks. 





No comments:

Post a Comment