Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Memoir Monday, July 22, 1966

 For Monday, July 22,1966

I know I have mentioned a time or two about small hints that things were gradually starting to change. I may have hopscotched a block or two when they did not fall on a date I covered  prior to the June exodus so here I'll summarize with some backtracks.

It was probably April or maybe early May when I went to one of the Family/Mental Health clinic interviews, probably pretty upset over the horse sicknesses and all. Anyway, Mr Peckham, the counselor, told me to call Mrs. Fitzgerald. A day or two later, I did. I have no memory of what was said but I believe she sounded me out on whether I really would like to go to college, mentioned it could still be possible. I said, "Yes," emphatically. I know there may have been some room for doubt since I had abandoned my scholarships fairly firmly after I graduated, though I did not promptly get married as the salutatorian did or go in the military. As I've already said, the forfeiture was done under pressure of the enmeshed family situation, my huge lack of confidence and my devotion to the critters, Now there was no question with too much handwriting on the wall.

I am not sure how Mr Peckham and Mrs Fitzgerald were acquainted but since she was the counselor at Mingus, it was not very peculiar. To backtrack a little, I always liked and admired her. She was my PE teacher my last two years and as counselor had talked with me quite a bit on grades, college plans and similar things,. I felt she cared about me as a person and a student and was probably concerned about my future. I had to look it up in my final yearbook--what was her first name? She was just Mrs Fitzgerald to me. It was Elizabeth. Anyway, I was glad to have her on "my team."

Actually little was done that I knew of until early to mid August but I am sure now a number of people were at least slightly involved from the git-go in what became a 'project' to get Margaret (Gaye) Morgan into college albeit belatedly. I know several of my former teachers put in a good word or two. Dr Joseph Pecharich, a family friend and our dentist, Dr Joseph Hudson over at the VA hospital and goodness knows who else had a small hand in it. As soon as I mentioned the possibility, my three aunts in California, all teachers/ administrators, also played a part. Aunt Ruth had done some summer classes  at NAU while it was still ASC and had been to UofA for seminars etc. so she had some pertinent contacts. 

There at the end of July I had only the slightest glimmer of hope this might actually happen. I truly did not dare to believe it was possible, much less that events would actually unfold as they did. In retrospect today, I can only most gratefully say "Thank You!"  to the Powers- that-Be, which I now name The Sourced and The Force, and to my guardian angel who worked behind the scenes through a number of good people to make this happen for me. In some ways. I still paid a further price and had to 'sacrifice' for this boon but I now call them offered willingly. It was meant to happen, just as it did. 

A few photos for 'tax'. First most of my Mingus senior year faculty including Mrs Fitzgerald, then the  cowboy girl as she worked those four long years and finally the  "sweet" girl graduate who had her brief moment of fame as Mingus's class of 62 valedictorian. So young and naive that day.  












No comments:

Post a Comment