Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Memoir Monday, Sept 23, 1966

 Okay, then. I got a few votes or mild "please" to go on, so you asked for it! Learn about college life at a smaller conservative school in the mid 60s,  what happened next with Dusty and some other relationships and adventures I got into my first semester. There was a tragedy or two back down in the valley as well.  

Sept 23, 1966

Got up about the usual, ate etc. Went to Accounting and feeling rather ill, I stopped and checked on the grant--shoot, they’re not in yet. Maybe Monday. So I came back and rested until lunch. I had a letter from Judy; they are moving to Murrieta area. I helped Carol lug her stuff out to her car (it’s a white Chevy) and ran down to History. At 2:00 I was free, but it was raining. So I stayed to sprinkle some clothes and then I was called to the phone. I nearly panicked but it was Carol Ordiway. She said she had meant to call and would again next week. Then I went up town to watch trains--saw the express through. JoAnn and others went home on it. And I saw a westbound freight with a small outfit moving. I did not get the numbers which drastically upset me. Charlie Mike will flip but maybe I’ll see another. I bought some grub for the weekend. Guess I’ll skip the ride tomorrow but try to make the barbecue. $4.00 is too steep.

I’m really going to get my driver’s license next week. Then I’ll be able to rent a car. If I don’t turn up Dusty pretty soon I’m going to go find him. Drake is 66 miles from Flag. I could drive it and back in three hours, I’m sure. Say 4:00 to 10:00? Yeah! I spent the evening putting up hems and ironing. Gee it is lonely as hell! I miss Carol’s presence even if she is quiet. I will make it home next weekend. But that is just too good an idea--this bit of renting a car. I know; I’ll have Carol let me drive hers a time or two to get the feel of an automatic shift and then about Thursday I’ll go take the test. Then I’ll have to check out the cost of a rental and then… Damn if that isn’t an idea though. It grows on me. Why be chicken?  I’d better go take a shower. It is 10:30 and I’m kind of tired all of a sudden. I feel a little sick like this morning. My stomach is rebelling again. Hell.

'Splains: The 'express' I mention was probably similar to The Grand Canyon, a  below-top-of-the line passenger and mail train. Carol Ordiway was the wife of my old crush Buster Ordiway with whom I had become Pen Pals back in--was it '63 or '64? Anyway, my new roommate was also Carol, so I'll try to keep that from being confusing. The license and rental car idea never quite worked out; not sure why really but it sounded good then!. 

 To summarize the week, I had spent Sep 17 and 18 in Clarkdale. Saturday I rode with Charlie Mike, riding Chief and leading Leo  while he rode Buzzie and led Lyno. We went to the depot--seems I drove--to pick up some packages and saw Earl and watched the local in. It seemed so small after the big main line trains! I caught the bus in Cottonwood Sunday evening and rode up the first time with Louie, an older guy who became my regular driver and an “honorary grandpa" of sorts. By 9:30 I was back in the dorm.

It was cool and damp for a few days with a larger storm on Monday. I hoped it was not too bad down in the valley. I also laid away a winter coat at one of the lower level stores, Price's (?)  knowing it would soon be cold and my old chore jackets would not work.  It was black vinyl with pile lining and cost $15. It was cute and I said would be $40 at Babbitt's. The next day I picked out a pair of tall winter boots, black also with pile lining and got them at Penney’s for $5.00.

Wednesday I got a letter from Jim (McLarney that is). I’d written to thank him for his help in getting there and we started a correspondence. I noticed a guy in the student union who caught my eye; he was a forestry student and in the rodeo club but I decided he was too young.  Most the guys seemed so immature after Dusty.  I learned the rodeo club met weekly and that they planned a barbecue/picnic and a four hour ride on Saturday; most had horses but some could be rented. What, me rent a horse for $4:00 and *pay* to ride?

 I was wishing Dusty would call but hardly dared to hope. I was not real sure how things were going to be. I still miss him so. There is a big hollow inside me left by the absence of his love and closeness. I had really not heard anything from him since the brief note from the hospital. So much had changed in my life since then yet my heart remained the same… 

By the next weekend--end of September--when I went down to Clarkdale some major changes had happened in my absence.  Things I'd never expected  when I made my last visit much less earlier, before I left. Almost like a big eraser rubbed across parts the past life... 

Photos:  Here is a sample of my curtains--I was not sure I still had them but found them in some of my hoarded memory stuff.  I drew those little horses a lot for years. Then it turns out the storm on the 19th was a bad one. A flood came down across the pasture and the folks struggled to get the fences back up. In the end that was an exercise in futility. I was lucky not to be there. Those pix were not processed until years later when Alex was taking a photography class and did a bunch of old rolls in darkroom practice. Digital was still very new in the early 90s! He was using one of the family's later-acquired Nikons then. Last, two shots from campus, Lumberjack football in the very old open stadium! 

  











No comments:

Post a Comment