Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Monday Memoir, August 3, 1968

 August 1968 went up in smok or sunshine or simply stepping out of  my regular life for a good four plus weeks. My normal--or even semi-normal-- daily record fell by the wayside at this point,  The narrative has to be patched together from memory and the notes I scribed after I got back to Flagstaff. early in September

This first week found me in California, just a little bit sooner than I had planned. I left on July 29th as nearly as I can reconstruct. .I'd  come to a point where there was nothing to gain by waiting and I left several personal things stil up in the air.  I suppose the folks had finally written because  I now knew they planned to go to New Mexico by fall and teach there. July 29 would  have been a Monday. The next journal entry is dated September 8 so I will just wing it for the interim and rely on a mixture of notes covering the period in that entry and my often shaky memory!

By this time the San Francisco Chief was a familar journey and I knew the route well. I had photos of several depots  and sights. This was actually the last time I made that trip. Other travels to Noerthern California happened in different ways as will be revealed in time. The current schedule saw me into Stockton, the last stop, , in midafternoon.The folks were there to meet me in the little white Volvo. I am not sure how everyone was settled in Aunt Roxie's three bedroom house. She still had her room and the boys were at Davis or elsewhere but there was Mom, Dad, Charlie  Mike, Alex andthen  me... It worked,, one way or another. Maybe a cot or a rollaway to one side? Or someone slept on a couch in the living or family room 

The folks were finishing their summer school classes--mostly necessary stuff to get certification to teach.. I am not sure how Californaii credentials served in New Mexcio but apparently they did. I guess they were all pleased with their cowboy hats. I did get some pictures.  I thought I had one of dad but cannot find. it.. gain I read, watched TV and probably ate and slept too much. The rest was needed and welcome, though. I happily orgot my school and unsettled issues for awhile.

For the first few days I don't think we did much. I spent time with my brothers and the family talked a little about the future and the planned move . They began to assemble the things needed to start a new household since they had virtually nothing. All the California  Morgans pitched in, Linens and bedding,dished and cooking utensiles,  assorted equipment and furnishings,  basic furniture like beds and chairs. They already had the Volvo sedan whuch Uncle Dan had given to them earlier in the spring,. It was theirs when I went over in June. He also provided an older Chevy pickup which they used for quite a long time in New Mexico. These first few days take me to the second full week which ran from  August 4 through 10. It did hold one major trip or event of interest to me, which i'll talk about next time. .

Pictures: Charlie with the enw hat behnd rteh Volvo in Aunt Roxie's drive. Then me in the same spot, hippie/western casual as usual, finally the front view of the house and then the back yard. The address was 6220 Kiernan Drive in the Sacramento suburb of Highland Park. Last is Alex, sans the hat, with the Volvo on a trip upin the Sierras


 





No comments:

Post a Comment