Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Memoir Monday, August 10, 1968

Although the event I will related was just a 24 hour thing, it was one of considerable significance to me.  I had heard of the Teris Cup Endurance Race a number of years before and was very much intrigued by the idea.  Imagine, a 100 mile ride from the foothills above Sacramento  to Lake Tahoe,  over a big block i=of the High Sierras. One horse, one rider and 24 hours to make the trek. I had long dreamed of aking it with a mule, mayawbe the foirst person to do that. Just likeon  the Iditarod, there are check points along the route and veterinarians examine each horse before it can go on  and can force them to be rested, writhdrawn or get treatment. Most have been conditioned very well, however. The entrants take it seriously to say the least. 

Linda Tellington was one of the founders of the event and now a VIP. Another Northern California Elite member high in finance and real estate etc. was Wendell Robie, who was also an avid horse lover and fan of the endurance idas. . My uncle was at leaqt slightly acquaintd with him as Doctor Dan Morgan now fancied himself part of the elite too. They got at very cross purposes a few years later but I am sure it was not over the horses or the event. Anyway, I had been dreamed of taking a mule on the ride, maybe the first to do and was so intrigued by the idea and at the time almost desperate to get away from the Verde that I had written Ms Tellington and asked about a job. She telegraphed me and said if I could get to her place, which I think was on the eastern side of the Sierras, she would take me in on a trial basis. About that time the near-sure fact I would be going to NAU emerged  and I never acted on the invitation.  I have often wished I had although I am reasonably sure I made the best decision. 

So meanwhile, Uncle offered to take Dad and me up to where the race started as tehy assembled and to obsere, take photos or network. I am sure it was a Saturday and quite likely August 10. I am not sure what vehicle we used, probably Uncle's SUV.  I do woish I had kept a record of this day especially. Recalling a month later, I gave no details at all. I am thankful that I at least have photographs. I did see Mr Tellington but she was in the middle of everything andd I did not get to speak to her. Not that I could have said anything important! I didn''t particularly want to speak to Mr Robie but I think Uncle did; I am not sure about Dad. The riders got to Tahoe early to midday the next day and we did not go up for that.

Pictures!! I cannot identify most of the people but note a wide variety of tack was usedo n the horss and evryone was oderly, excited but very calm and controlled This was not an amatuer hour event!First picture:  The lady with the long vbraid near the horse's head I think is Ms rtellington. In the 2nd note the officer's version of the McClellan saddle--light gear was an advantage! In the 3rd shot, the very tall guy was the senior veterinarian and the small man to his left I think was Mr Robie. I do not believe he was riding but he may have. 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment