Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Memoir Monday, Aug 19, 1966

 

Aug 19, 1966

So a few random notes to include a short passage actually written on the 19th:

By now I had gotten more encouragement on the college effort and had become determined  I was going to go for it. Life as it was had become almost intolerable again. There had been more blow-ups,  almost daily. Such as trying to load Patsy (the gray Arabian type mare) in the trailer. When she did not cooperate, it resulted in her being beaten severely. It almost took her eye out and did take five stitches to sew her face up. Why she was hit in the face or how I cannot remember; that ugliness has been mostly erased. Of course I got all sorts of verbal abuse over it though how it it was my fault I have no clue. I was beyond livid as the Boss was obviously totally out of control and it was rank cruelty to the mare and in a way to me also.  After that we signed affidavits--which I did reluctantly-- for the ongoing lawsuits. It was now not just one or two but it seemed half a dozen at least. Half the county had fallen onto the “enemies list” and was named for some malfeasance, underhanded deal, connivery and/or conspiracy!!

I had managed to mail Dusty’s birthday card so I was fairly sure it would reach him before or  by Aug 20, which was the actual day. I fervently wished I had never heard of the legal mess. I wished it was September 6 and I was settling into my dorm room in Flagstaff. Ha, fat chance of that but I am fighting for it. I've been feeling almost violently ill and aching all over. If something isn’t wrong with me, I said, I really would worry. I’ve spent a lot of time sorting and consolidating my stuff. I’d done this so much in the past year but it was still almost overwhelming.  It also occurred to me, as I phrased it, “I’d be close to my foaling date had I stayed settled last December 1st, wouldn’t I? I wanted that little brush colt very much."

Actual date of Aug 19:  The legal affairs proved rather inconclusive but “they” say we are still ahead. OK. I don’t care. I spent the day sorting and packing; have most everything in order now, clothing organized, etc. I am almost ready to go--somewhere. Should’ve ridden but one gets tired of that sometimes!

The next day we had to get hay which took until noon and then it rained but not too drastically. I was not sure if I was gaining or losing on the college effort. I had loan, scholarship and work applications to fill out. Dr Parry at the clinic said it was almost certain I could go. "It’s all up to me”. To which I say a wry “ha, ha.” It actually hinges 100% n the Boss. He says it is up to me but I know damn well that is not true.  I’d so much wanted to do this mostly on my own--on my own merit and efforts--but he has to have a thumb in the middle of everything.  And in the end may likely totally screw it up! His alleged charm or influence or ‘persuasion’ is so often ill advised, badly executed, and creates resistance or road blocks.

I do not know if Patsy really healed and got her pretty Arabian face back; I only saw her a few times soon after this incident. I was so sickened and disgusted. I still carried my side arm most of time--the irony is that 'they' never guessed how much potential danger that put them in. I was keeping a very firm control on my reactions but there were times it would have been so easy. Patsy was not one of my  special pets, being a bit remote and not socialized, but if she had been... 

I had shot snakes and a few coyotes and that had not bothered me much; it was part of the cowboy girl life and duties. Still I was not inured to violence and brutality and truly did hate to hurt anything unless it was a real necessity. I was scared of my horses being snake-bit and the rattlers came to the water out at the pasture as it also drew rabbits, rats and such which were good snake prey. What a life...

A few pictures since they can supplement too many lines of words.  First is Patsy--showing her  pretty self with her second foal.  She threw two good colts with Chief. This was Twinkles, a filly and the 2nd one. Twink was a long yearling at the time of this story. Patsy was never broke or ridden that I know of. She lead and could be handled though, and was not ever really mean or wild. Something spooked her that day. Next is a much older photo showing the trailer we used--compared to today's fancy ones it was rough but many ranchers used similar back then.  This photo showed the second Jeep pickup, several years before we had the two white Fords. Last, hoof care, a frequent task. This looks like a mule's foot that I was filing before setting on a new shoe.












No comments:

Post a Comment