Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Thursday, August 29, 2024

The Other Kamala-- Poetic View

The Other Kamala--a poet's view 

Life is so full of Celtic Knots.  It took me awhile because that was long ago but after I began to follow Ms Harris as our candidate for the Presidency of the USA, a small light came on. Where had I heard that name before? Then the phrase "The Lives of Kamala" crossed my mind. A verse. Yes. So long ago. I wrote it in March 1970 as I was moving toward earning my MA at Northern Arizona University (NAU) in Flagstaff, Arizona. 

It was created as a special extra credit effort  for a class I was taking, I think called East Asian History. I had 'gone Asian' late in the last semester of my BA year mostly due to the influence of my Guru at the time, who I met through a Humanities class called Asian Cultures.  I ended up taking every Asian related class I could and working Asian related things into my history classes, be the European, US and even American Western themed (derided by the department head as "Cowboy and Indian" History!) It was not such a stretch as one might think.

Just where this name came from I cannot say. I may have read it in a John Masters' novel or other reading and it felt rather "Hindu/Indian" to  me at the time. Parts of the verse were a not-too-subtle tribute to my personal Guru, (of whom there is also an interesting tale--no room here)  and where the rest  came from I do not know. As with much of my fiction, a character appeared and I wrote what was dictated to me.  I got nice comments from the intended Prof and the piece was passed around through the History and Humanities departments where I knew most of the faculty through classes or my year of working as a clerk in the Humanities office. It was mostly well received.

Yet I find it a strange coincidence that I named the heroine Kamala. I cannot call the modern one a new incarnation of the woman in this tale but then I cannot scoff either. Fate and the Universe move in peculiar ways. II had never put it on the computer and finally found the original among the other papers I had saved from those years. I am not sure now if it is significant or not... When I wrote it, today's Kamala was a small child, perhaps the age she looks in some of the old photos in her campaign resume. For what it is worth, here it is. Long, so wade through if so inclined. Comments or critique are welcome. 

The Lives of Kamala

Speaking through my humble hand

A gentle sage of another land

Is offering her lovely truth

to the rushing world, especially youth.

My only task when she implored:

to pick my open up and record.

 Canto One

In history books you read it, now--

All those stirring tales of how

Brave men, for company and crown

Centuries ago sent down

To the shores of Hindustan

To wrest an empire from our land.

 Clive’s great battle of Plessey;

Hastings came and had his day.

Wellesley, Macauley, and the rest,

Pale conquerors from the west.

Read those stories then with pride,

But there was another side.

 “Those heathens we must civilize;

With books and laws we’ll anglicize

All the poor unlettered wogs,

Lift them out of those bleak bogs

Of their customs, crude and strange.

Long live England, long live change.

 The pale ones did not fight alone.

With treachery amongst our own--

Promise of great gain woke greed--

And in the hour of our need

Divided in our ranks, we fell

Tumbling to the gates of hell.

 Even while others bravely fought

Rather than forsake truths taught

To us as children by the wise

Gurus among us, some told lies,

Betraying us into their hands,

Those foreigners from far-off lands.

 They changed our ways most heedlessly;

So many suffered needlessly.

At last they saw but ‘twas too late.

They had disturbed the wheel of fate.

Lives cannot begin anew

Nor can apologies undo.

 Damage wrought when they denied

A widow’s ritual suicide.

My Love had fallen to their arms;

What cared I then for the charms

Of the sheltered life I’d known,

Having now to live alone?

 The beauty that he’d loved, I cursed.

These Englishmen would have me first

before the flames could set me free.

Release was not the fate for me…

Tarnished, tainted how could I bring

myself to him, my love, my king?

The soldiers seized me from the flame;

In that act began my shame.

The colonel winked, “T’would be absurd

To roast this tender little bird.”

He scratched his ear and rubbed his jaw.

“I think I’d like her better raw.”

 My soul went cold, my mind went dim

I will not remember him…

And the many, many more,

Each one worse than the one before.

Rani once, of ancient name,

I’m  casteless now, too low for shame.

 Any beggar has my price--

I can be bought for a cup of rice.

Harlot of Calcutta’s streets.

Strange it is how fortune treats

Her sons and daughters, cruel fate.

Death will come, but come too late.

 

Canto Two

A Bengal village next I knew.

Memory starts, perhaps at two.

We though not of ourselves as poor;

Did our neighbors not endure

The same privation, the same need?

All paid the price of Empire’s greed.

The fourth of four daughters, I

Knew not that nothing was put by

A dowry for me to serve.

Yet there was one who did observe

That cheerfully I faced each task

The day came when he would ask

 My father for me to be his bride.

I heard it all concealed inside.

But I was young, of stubborn will,

Seeking high adventure still.

Me a lowly farmer’s wife,

Bound to this dull old man for life?

But a father a child cannot naysay;

custom decrees that youth obey.

I was frantic for a plan…

And then there came a holy man,

To our village, just passing through.

I looked at him just once and knew.

Quite heedless of my parents’ wrath

I would follow in his path.

So young then, I was yet unsure

Whether my love was profane or pure.

In truth, the thought did not occur

to wonder what my motives were.

 Though under frosted hair, his face

Was young and kind; he moved with grace

And energy, never seemed to tire.

Behind his dark eyes blazed a fire

Re-echoed in each word he spoke.

He sought to lead the common folk

To rise above the tyrants white,

In a strange new sort of fight.

I was puzzled, I confess

By his unfailing gentleness,

And how he said the Buddha’s way

Would surely guide us all someday.

Almost shameless at the first,

Driven by a senseless thirst,

I sought to make him notice me.

Until his teaching set me free

from the bondage of desire.

I came at last then to admire

 More than the man, the things he taught

Until finally I too caught

The strange contagion of his dream.

Like the holy man’s fierce beam,

Hope was falling in a band

Across the darkness of our land.

But then, alas, violence erupted.

My guru’s message was corrupted

In the mouths of his false friends

reshaped to fit their selfish ends.

Bombs and bullets tore apart

that dream, it’s dreamer and my heart.

 

Canto Three

The century was near its close

Ere my soul a new life chose.

The karma of that last crusade

For a wicked past repaid.

And so cleansed now of my shame

Once more I bore a noble name.

 In a hundred years, much changed.

Society was rearranged.

By now all India understood:

The English ways were here for good.

Though we might drive them from our shore,

Their essence lingered evermore.

 With this certainty in mind

My father wisely sought to find

Ways to fit his children best

to the future, to the west.

He sent my brothers and even me

To English schools, across the sea.

 Following my timid feet,

My sari trailed a cobbled street

In this city called London-town

Where the slippery fog creeps down

To wander by the riverside.

Amongst the strangers, one could hide…

Then one day what do I see

Two blue eyes that smile at me.

And down the street of cobblestone,

I walk, no longer so alone.

The strangeness faded until I knew

Englishmen are people too.

Then tossing waves echo in part

The painful turmoil of my heart.

Will my parents understand

This ring of gold upon my hand?

Will it bring them joy or shame,

A grandson with an English name?

 The green line drawing nearer, fast.

India! Bengal! Home at last.

My parents, older, gaze in awe

At the first Englishman they saw

As a person, as a friend,

Not just a bringer of the end.

They love him first because I do,

But later on, for himself too.

I think perhaps I found the way

That we can bridge and fill someday

The aching gaps twixt man and man,

If love cannot, then nothing can.

 Yet I suffer for my son…

I know the task has just begun,

And as yet there is no place

For those connecting race to race.

In the meantime they must pay

And wait for love to find a way.

Once more I had to lose my man

As violence swept through every land.

Once more love was interrupted,

The pattern of two lives disrupted.

I was left alone and knew

It would affect our next lives, too.

 

Canto Four

 Still paying off some karmic debt

That fate will not let me forget…

I cannot even name the wrong,

But I know I do not belong

In the form I wear today

With skin too pale and eyes of gray.

 Untimely death, reborn too soon.

Now I at dawn and he at noon

Cannot span the chasm of years.

Sternly I contain the tears

When memories reflect the cost,

Reminding me of what I lost.

Accepting, humbly I pray

That love and kindness can repay

my debt for good and I can be

Finally, in my next life, free.

Or else united never to part

With the owner of my heart.

 I envy youth its joy and faith.

Now I am haunted by the wraith

Of conflict. I am torn asunder.

In the still taut lulls, I wonder--

Can mankind learn to live with love?

Placing that unity above

Nation’s interests, princely gain,

All that brings the lowly pain?

Seeing all mankind as our brother,

Truly loving one another?

Finally do away with war,

With hate and violence, evermore…

Thus, my dharma in this life

Is to walk amongst the strife,

Repeat my story everywhere,

And try to teach the world to care.

Practice love in all I do,

That my example prove it true.

To leaders, who would act in haste--

Does not my story prove the waste

Of politics and great ambition?

Join then in the demolition

Of barriers that separate

Man from man with walls of hate.

 My simple tale should prove to all

Just how senseless is that wall

Of language, culture, kingdom, race.

Drifting in infinite space

We all are part of one great way

Which will absorb us all one day.

The question is: why must we wait

Entangled here in nets of hate?

Blind selfishness, preventing peace

Can disappear if we just cease

To cling to some identity.

Only the serene are truly free.

First, is there right or wrong,

Good or bad, weak or strong?

Man lacks the judgment to decide

What to praise, what to deride.

He lacks the right to try to change

Others, although he thinks them strange.

 

                        © Gaye M Walton, nee Morgan

                      March 30, 1970





 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment