I think I was out of practice in writing every day or even more than once a week at this point. Somehow the week from September 8 to 14 never got even a line but I can cover most of that from the next week's post. Unfortunately much of the next several months were that way--very sporadic as I adjusted to a new set of classes with new classmates and professors and a somewhat new life style living off campus in my own home! I wish I had done better but I'll get as much as I can to share and portray this adjustment period, a rather critical one for my growth and maturity, I think. Come spring, a new north star fell into my world, an experience that almost set me off on a vastly different course than I had ever even considered. That too was a learning experience and probably necessary. You have to come to find what you do not want to develop appreciation for and recognize what you do want. !969 through 1971 were when that fully t happened to me. After that, I was basically a finished product, fired and finished. for life. At 28 I was finally who I was going to be, a complex mixture of the child,, the teenager, the cowboy girl, the rebel, the sometimes intellectual and the practical blue collar worker. I am that today at 83 years of age.
Sept 8, 1968, Sunday
Dad and Alex drove me to Holbrook leaving about mid-omorning. By the more remote roads it was really not that far. I caught a bus from there and got to Flagstaff by laet afternoon. My homely little place looked pretty good but I was in for a small shock. Carolyn was gone and Mary Rapson had moved in, at least temporarily. I knew her but not real well. She earnestly begged me to be allowed to stay. I hemmed and hawed and said I had to think about it. I was really tired and after a short supper, crashed on the small sofa in the living room, letting her use the bed. Carolyn had rtaken the folding bed loaned by her boyfriend leaving only the double bed that was part of the furnishings.
I was sure she was not what I expected or wanted but I needed a roommate so I finally consented. There was also a note from Dale. He had been here on Labor Day and was perhaps a bit surprised or dismayed to find me gone. Well, too bad. We are not 'going steady' much less anything more! I had almost hoped he would have shagged and saved me the trouble of some kind of breakup. After not seeing him for quite awhile I was not keen on us becoming permanent.
It was a busy week, I got a lot done but most of it not terribly exciting. I saw Dr Downum on Wednesday and re-preregistered with a new focus. Thursday I registered and got my checks.Quite a bit of it was gone quickly but it was also nice not to have to pay dorm fee or meal ticket.. That would all come piecemeal.
I decded Mary was not a bad roommate. I'll keep my petty little gripes to myself and be cool. I need to have someone to share the expense and I realized I could do a lot worse. She loves movies. One night we went to see Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. It was a good movie dealing delicately with race issues and Sidney Poitier is a really cool character.
I even got some sewing done, making a two piece dress--simple dirndle skirt and shirtwaist type blouse of some fabric I had awhile, black background with pink, red, brown and white paisley which I planned to wear for the first day of classes--September 16.
It is a bit different to have house work to do. I expect I will be the main cook but Mary is good about cleaning up, doing dishes etc. She is a big husky gal,dark hair and eyes and a nice enough smile. but not especially attractive. Still she has a fairly good personality although very immature in some ways. I will definitely be the 'big sister'. She is majoring in education and intends to teach. This will be her last year of college.
It was very good to be "home" again and I am really glad I decided and made the move in May to get out of the dorm and be able to have a 'normal life' without the artificial rules. I can have a guest if I want and be out as late as I wish, both of which may come in handy. I don't think Mary is a prude. I guess she met Dale and spoke to him but I am not sure. I said he was a fairly casual boyfriend, which is essentially true.I think I am ready to turn a page and start a new chapter. I know a lot of things will be different with this focus or semi-major change. I'm still officially pre-law but --well, that is not set in cement either.
No pictures. I will try to get one of Mary in the FB announcement. Whoa--it worked!! Yowza!! Big surprise!!

No comments:
Post a Comment