Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Memoir Monday, September 28, 1968

 Fall comes early to Flagstaff. There would still be pleasant days but there could also be chill winds, freezing drizzle and even snow. I knew there would be days it was not fun or easy to walk the several blocks from my new home to campus. That was one of the few negative things about my new residence. I got used to it, though and mostly did not find it too onerous. That may come up in the next few weeks.

At least I did write once this week. So here was September 24, a Tuesday

Sep 24, 1968, 12:45 a.m.

A hell of an hour to be up and awake but I am absolutely  turned on and cannot sleep. It has been a sort of groovy wild day. I got up and dressed and went to my 9:00 to 1:00 classes and all that rot. Then I went to Dr. Holden's 'pulley parlour' and had my miserable molar extracted.It popped out like a greased pig, literally no sweat although it bled quite a bit and I can still taste the salt and feel the cobwebby clots in my throat.  Mary and I went to see The Thomas Crown Affair and sat through it twice! Steve McQueen is just too much. He is so much like Dusty that I just fall apart. Faye Dunaway is cool. With the proper makeup etc. I could almost look like her. She is tall and lean and catty. So'm I. Maybe I should study acting and take speech and diction courses. I'd learn a little bit of pressence perhaps.

I've got to to get to Dusty someway. I know he can't help advance my career or any of that crap but I just happen to still be in love with the guy. I wouild give anything I own to have  him here beside me right now. If I really let myself go, he'd have to reciprocate and I'm sure there is plenty of tiger in the tank of the kitty plays her part. I was awfully green, naive  and awfully scared at first but it was getting better every time. 

I think Dale is ticked at me for being gone. I would have sworn it was him coming in from Albuquerque last evening when Mary and I were fooling around up town  but I could be wrong. Anyway. I think I want him gone now.  I've got to get a driver's license so I can rent a car. I'm going to see about a driver training program tomorrow. If I can't do any better, I will for sure get a New Mexcio license when I go over for Thanksgiviing and then I could get an Arizona one from that without having to drive again. Still no car available. It would be so much better to drive over there than to go on the bus or the train because having mobility could be critical. I'd better turn off, tune out and go to sleep. It's after 1:00. Thank god I don't have to do anything until 10:30 tomorrow.


Pictures: I've mentioned and showed it before, but there really was a strong resemblance between Steve McQueen and Dusty. It was not just myimagination! If they were at all related it had to be far back in their ancestry but maybe some Irish there?? Odd blend of toughness and poet in those faces.  The last one, notice the hands, and maybe a better face angle too.







No comments:

Post a Comment