Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Memoir Monday, September 21, 1968

 September 21 was a Saturday of course, and a week of classes had gone by in a flash.   Yes, it was different but not all that much. I still had a few 'general \eduacation'  tyoe required classes to take care of so it was not all history right away. 

I think that I wrote the followoing.about the 18th or 19th  The page was undated so I am not sure. Anyway, here goes: 


Undateed probablby  Wednesday? 

Guess what. I've got red hair. I jsut did it this afternoon and I'm mighty curious how it is going to look. I think the color will be pretty and not too loud. Tomorrow I am sending some boxes to the folks by express. I am sending Charlie Mike's stuff and some odds and ends to Mom--like an iron I got at Goodwill, some extra clothes hangers and such. Tomorrow will be housecleaning day. I ought to be back from class by 1:30 which wiil give me quite a bit of time to work. I think I've really got a pretty good schedule and as soon as I see how it is all going to go, I'll try to get back to writing regularly.  Right now I'm tired to the bone and have a good case of the cramps to boot so I guess I'd better get myself ready to hit the sack PDQ. Mary has gone to do her laundry so perhps I should take my shower now and then iron my dress and a few other chores before I turn in. I'm sleeping on the couch as I am still restless and fidgety and I suspect I am going to make a habit of of it. I wish they had twin or bunk beds here!   I really do not want to share with Mary; it just does not feel comfortable,   

So  I will talk about  my new classes, as well as the profs and a bit about some of them. Few of the business classes were memorable--I barely recall any of the profs except Mr Knox (he was a character and 'real') which I think tells or shows me something.. That was really not what I was supposed to go into or make my life career. Although an introvert, I am in odd ways a "people person" and find srudying human creatures and their past, their efforts, their habits, errors and successes intrigues me more than dollars and deals. MBA are not me!!. 

"Peoples of the World" (Anthropology)  Emerson or Erickson.? He was blond and good                                                                     looking but not my type.  I did really like the class!

Western Civilization to 1660 (World History) Davis, again not real memorable;;nice                                                                                                        enough but a tad pompous?

English History to 1699  Dr Voegler--I cannot recall his first name but he was excellent,                                                   & became a favorite  I was kind of a pet there; got 100% A's

Latin Amwrica to 1810  Dr Guy Bensusan  He ws a fun guy and I had a brief crush on him                                                                               though he was short, chubby and bald! You                                                                               will meet him again!

Social Problems (Sociology)  Dr Clyde Smallwood  I called him the little Bantum Rooster                                                    as he was stuck on himself and could be a pill!   I had                                                            for  a variety of courses over time.. He'll reappear often too. 

Square Dance (PE finally caught up with me.) I squeeked by with the least painful activities I could find!  This was co-ed and fun,  I actually made a younger male friend here who was a frquent partner

 I will add that there was lots of overlap and intersecting bwtween the History and Humanities Departments. They both came under Liberal Arts, of course, and then next year, through a new connection, I got much more involved with the Humanities Department to the point I had a work-study clerical  job there my final year. This helped cover the costs of getting my Masters,for which I did not have a scholarship. Getting ahead of the tale a bit.

Pictures;; The old Liberaal Arts Building wheer I was almost a 'resident'! 1 is about 1968. while 2  is closer to late 90s, And good old 17 South Agassiz..It was a dump in many wyas but a pretty good dump!

































No comments:

Post a Comment