Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Two verses-daring and werewolves?

These two poems were actually intended to be part of my last post but it was getting way too long, so I held them back for a follow-on. They do share an inspiration with the theme of daring to be different and to reach for the stars, though. One a bit less perhaps but it has links to my recent immersion in the Iditarod. I'm having a bit of withdrawal there since the race is over down to the final awards and sending everyone home from Nome but that's okay. More on that as it becomes relevant.  Anyway here are the verses... Both copyright protected as of March 2014, the date of their composition, as are all contents of this blog.. Any copies of any material are to be made with permission only!



          Prayer for Courage
Dare to be different, dare to exceed
Limits you self-set and too quickly heed.
Dare to reach higher, to try one more time
Dare to take chances and risk all to climb.
Challenge your weakness and build ‘til you’re strong.
Take that strange road that seems hidden and long.
Lift up your head, your heart and your pride
For the worst that can happen is after you’ve died
You realize your doubts, your shyness and fears
Held you back, kept you down all through your years.
So give it your best shot, be bold, strive and dare
To fly to the far peaks on a wing and a prayer.
                                                   GMW 3/14

            Mystery Memory
Have I run through a long, cold night?
Fought my fear of the swirling white?
Heard the shush and crunch of snow,
Felt the bite when the storm winds blow?

Though I cannot know, my spirit claims
Many and varied lifetimes and names,
Most of them spent in desert climes
But other places at other times

Perhaps have seen and challenged me,
Brought me down or set me free.
So as this long day slips nearer night,
Spirit-feet recall the cold, the white.

Once in a dream-night I ran with a pack,
Howled and ran, never looking back.
So was that a memory or merely a dream?
I can only trust in how real it did seem.
                                      GMW 3/14


I do have an affinity for wolves and they are mostly creatures of the more northern climes. Who knows. Yes, there are the so-called Mexican Gray Wolves down along the border here and of course their kin the coyotes, but I have dreamed of running over the snow and such, more than once actually.  I was never sure if that running was on two feet or four... Maybe I was a northern were-wolf in some incarnation! Smiling but not laughing as to me at least it is no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment