Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Paper Dolls--Redux

I know I have mentioned my hobby of making paper dolls several times, the latest in my January 12 post, Memoir Essay--Coloring.  I have been doing a lot of sorting of mismatched and jumbled souvenir type stuff and came across a few samples which I just scanned in this evening. Since I am lazy about writing, I will just pop a few in here with short notes so you know I was not pulling anyone's leg!

This first picture is my take on the "Kewpie Doll" style that Mrs Goodding (the wife of the renowned botanist and desert flora expert, the late Leslie N Goodding who I probably mentioned in notes on my trip to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum last October.)  She was one of the very few people who ever 'baby sat' me as my parents were admittedly overprotective when I was little.


The next two are clothes I made for them and one of the gift wrap dresses she made for me.  The broomstick skirts were for a wedding party and I can't recall why the cowgirl outfits!

The final shot is two of the couples I made later on--these were actually done for  my granddaughters in about 2003 but were based on those I did as a teenager. I had a huge batch of clothes and about four couples which I sold to a collector on eBay for a sum that astounded me. I had no idea that paper dolls were now a major hobby with conventions and shows and a fandom! A few people do make them, too, but most just collect old ones from the 1920s through their peak in about the sixties. I've about given it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment