Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Working on the special post--bear with me!

I found the two steno notebooks in which I wrote some of my early tales in pencil. I'm  reading them to decide which one or two to share soon. The reading is not easy since the writing has blurred and faded some over time! These were written when I was twelve and thirteen, reading Zane Grey, Ernest Haycox and other classic western writers of that ilk. I certainly was influenced by their style and stories but even then, I had to be sure there was a love story in each one! They were very chaste and sweet, of course. That was all I had read up to that point and my personal experience was absolutely zilch so a kiss or two and fond looks were about all the couple exchanged!  I have to laugh a little bit and admit, "Ya come a long way, Baby." (Does anyone recall that commercial? I think it was for Virginia Slims cigs.) Well, admit it, Self, you really are almost as old as dirt... Now I write everything from sweet to regular vanilla flavor to x-rated!!

Okay, here is the poem I was thinking of. It may reveal that I am both a very amateur astronomer and also a reader of classic mythology. Enjoy! How many stars or constellations can you identify in this verse? I name but a couple of stars and simply allude to the rest.

          Winter Sky
The swan with kamikaze song
Its dagger drives into the west.
While eastward, rising beacon bright
With brilliant torch does Sirius light
The hunter's way across the night.
Along the silver stream.
Upon their thrones the mythic pair
Reign over cold and darkness now
And the fiery chariot of the north,
Led by Capella, flashes forth.
Displayed on velvet blue, a fortune's worth
Of jewels may fill my dream.
                               GMW (c) 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment