Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

March is nearly gone!

We are in the windy season now and so far it has been up to any dread or expectations--dust, allergies and the worst side of desert spring. I still try to get out and walk with my two red dogs whenever it is not too miserable and we see a lot more flowers each time. The fruit trees are about done and the mesquites are not out yet but it will not be long.

At home my lilacs are blooming. Three of the ones I planted the second spring here have at least a few blooms and even the old one that had not bloomed at all during my tenure has had three sprigs of sweet scented flowers! Next to roses, lilacs are my favorite flowers. I have a few sprigs in a glass in my room so the scent sweetens the air here. And one rose bush is literally covered with buds that will burst open any day. I can already get some scent from them too. The name of that particular rose is Heaven Scent and it lives up to that very well. I will try to get photos of both the rose and the lilacs if the wind dies down tomorrow.

I posted an old photo on Facebook the other day and was surprised when my granddaughter said she loved it and wanted a copy. I was touched and thrilled so went though an old album and pulled out some prints to send to her, her sister and brother. I had no idea that these kids would have any interest in what Grandma did when she was a young girl but maybe my daughter spoke better of me than I guessed and they actually listened!

Here is the photo. It was taken when I was about 15 and riding the horse belonging to an old cowboy friend of ours named Charley Bryant. The horse's name was Stormy and he was a fine cow pony.  My dad and I were on a deer hunting trip up on Mingus Mountain, about  twenty five mile ride from our home down in the Verde Valley. As I told Rhiannon and Caitlynn, at the time I did not appreciate much of my life but those years taught me so much and now are very precious as memories. We may have been poor and had to work hard and my brothers and I were bullied at school for being different than everyone else but it made us stronger and maybe better people. At least I hope so. That awareness is why I am really trying to do my memoirs now to share a very throwback lifestyle that few my age and almost none younger ever experienced!


No comments:

Post a Comment