Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, August 3, 2020

Absolutely Arizona--The Grand Canyon


Mom and me, maybe 1947


  And what can possibly be more iconically Arizona than this incredible  site, clearly visible from space and one of the world's true wonders? I  have been there quite a few times but it never ceases to amaze and awe  me. I really do not remember the first time but it was probably in 1946- 47, maybe our first summer in Arizona. I'm judging by my size in the  photo, sadly black and white.I think right after WWII color film was  hard to come by because I find no color pictures in slide, negative or  print for a time, say about 1942 to1946/7. There are a number of Grand  Canyon shots at the same time as this one but they are all B&W.
The next visits were many and in the summer of 1951 when my parents ran a Forest Service fire lookout in the Kaibab Forest just outside the park on the North Rim. On low fire danger days we made many trips out to remote viewpoints accessible only by dirt tracks in the Jeep. At eight I was too young to fully appreciate what I sw but it was amazing. Sadly, no photos. I am sure Dad must have taken many but in the whole stash of zillions I have not found a one.
My next visit was in the summer of 1970, not long before I completed my education and moved to Sierra Vista to start my first real job at Fort Huachuca. Two roomies and I went in Carol's new blue Maverick and made it to both rims in one day. I took photos but sadly they are all on the dead harddrive and the negatives and prints are long gone. I stil have hopes to regain them someday. 
I know I meant to go again but it was many years before I did. Finally in 2015 I made a pact to join a friend, Mary Frances Clinton, to meet at Williams and take the train out to the South Rim. It was a fantastic trip and we enjoyed every minute of it. The train was fun with cheerful and knowledgable hosts in each car and some entertainers who sang, played an instrument and joked with us. The bus tour to several viewpoints was of course the highlight and this time I did get lots of photos!! They are all safely stored on more than one medium and I plan to keep them always. 
I may go again, once the current muddle is finally sorted out. Who knows? I also collect a few special pictures on line and save for my slide show screen saver or digital stash. I'll share a couple of favorites! At any rate, the Grand Canyon is truly grand in the best sense of that overused word and I cherish the memories of trips and the fact it is part of my heart's home state, absolutely Arizona.


 





These two spectcular shots are not mine but they are fabulous!! The top looks fake 
but I know it is a true view. 


No comments:

Post a Comment