Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, January 4, 2021

Memoir Monday-January 4, 1959

This is kind of fun. I don't know if my readers agree, but maybe I am just doing it for me. You think? So anyway here is January 4, 1959 which was apparently a Sunday. 

Jan 4, 59: Shod Tina in the back. Rode up on the Cement Hills and just missed Bryants. Watched "Maverick" as usual. It was quite funny,. Another episode featuring both of them. Those I go for. Glory, I hate the idea of going back to school. I'm spoiled, I guess. Viva vacations!

So to clarify. I was fifteen and a sophomore at Mingus, the first year that Cottonwood and Clarkdale/Jerome were consolidated. I had somewhat picked up my old crush on a former classmate from my years at Willard School in Bridgeport as he was a senior that year. (Name deleted to protect the guilty!) but it was not enough to make me really enjoy school. I much preferred to be out with my horses or mules and exploring, free of the rules and routine that school demanded. 

Tina of course was my beloved mare. She was four now and a big strong mare who could scramble over the rough ground with the best mules. The Cement Hills were those big white hills behind Clarkdale where the "C" was painted and where they began to mine limestone for the plant when it was built and started. We accessed them roundabout since the old smelter yard was still securely fenced but could go up at either the west or east side of that. They were a good rough place to ride, challenging in spots. 

The Bryants were friends. He was an old cowboy/horse trainer and a real horse whisperer who taught me so much about riding and training--more by example than any effort at teaching but that as fine.  He had been raised in south western New Mexico but came to Arizona when young. He had little formal schooling and did not read or write much but oh, he was a genius with the equines. He did not drive so his wife drove him around in their little old car although he rode most everywhere he went.  He always had a horse or two and was usually breaking or training one. And most of them were for guys half his age!! He was probably early 70s at this time. One of my youth's heroes. 

And I was in my TV westerns phase. We did not have a TV so I watched at some friends' homes and was probably a nuisance!! Big faves were Maverick and The Rifleman. Had a huge crush on Chuck Connors. 

Photos: Me on Tina, charging up a hill. She was always full speed ahead and not at all fearful of rough ground. Next two feature Charley Bryant. One I am beside him standing by our truck and the other he is on a big palomino he was training. Then a general view of Clarkdale. Those Cement Hills are behind the last smokestack at the smelter which stood for a few more years. The last was probably my school picture for the 58/59 year. I had just started to insist on letting my hair grow. It was pretty long my senior year. And I took my glasses off for pix as I hated them!! I also did not smile often for a photo as I hated my overlapped front teeth.








No comments:

Post a Comment