Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Friday, April 23, 2021

Memoir Monday, April 26, 1959

Again, short posts so I will sequence three to compare my thoughts and sentiments over the span of two years.

Apr 26, 1959 Sunday

When I awoke it was raining and it rained most of the day. Of course we did not move horses, grease the car or any such stuff. I sewed a bit in the morning and finished an old skirt and Mom nearly finished my squaw skirt. It’s going to be a beauty. It semi-cleared in the evening and I was able to play outside some with Charlie Mike, Kippy and Juanita. I had my birthday supper tonight. It as super good. Watched TV some but not Maverick. Saw part of Meet Me in St Louis which was really good. In it I saw Tab Hunter on the screen for the first time. He’s sort of cute but the big rugged sort are more my style. The ‘pistol whipping, whiskey sloshing, gunslick types’. Ha ha. Well tomorrow I’ll be sixteen. I don’t know how I got here. It doesn’t seem like I should be that old. Only five more weeks of school. Believe me, I can’t wait. Adios, Gaye

Apr 26, 1960 Tues

We kept busy today as always, All the critters out in the pasture were ok. Lady is quite close to her time.  I hope she foals tonight. We drove to Cottonwood to mail a letter to Greenough. I saw this mangy critter too—ugh—took him for RE at first but he wasn’t. We took Lobo and Colonel clear up to the North Point saddle via Dynamite Hill which was quite a trip. That little ‘Bo really is some horse. I’m almost sure I saw Reb on our way home. It was like his car, anyway. Maybe tomorrow I’ll be out on the highway with Tina and can find out for sure. We’re going to Prescott tomorrow. I’m going to spend my money and have a blast. Went up to Arlene’s to watch Rifleman. It was really good tonight. I’m going to write a story real soon that will be just right for him. I don’t know why but I’m happy tonight. I’m in love and I’m going to be seventeen tomorrow. Reason enough? Adios, Gaye

 Apr 26, 1961 Wed

Today was one of those days any way you take it. We had car trouble on the way to the pasture in the morning and as a result I missed the bus. Dad drove me to school. Everyone was all “dolled up” and as a result not much was accomplished academically as far as school went. I got a letter from Judy C. As usual I rode Chip and also led Ruby and Cinder some. I didn’t do much this evening because I was not feeling quite myself. Bye, Gaye

1959:  Rainy days were never much fun, whether I was in school or at home. I always preferred to be outdoors although sometimes it was nice to be able to spend a day sewing, writing or doing artistic stuff. I cannot picture the "squaw skirt" mentioned--maybe blue and yellow? And I'm not sure why Mom was sewing on it. She really did not sew much, no more than was asolutely necessary as she did not enjoy it or have great skill.

The kids mentioned were neighbors.  I think Juanita was the eldest Quijada girl, in the same class as Charlie Mike and she lived at the west end of our block. I cannot place "Kippy"--sounds like a dogs name but I am sure it was not.  Maybe Juanita's kid brother? What did I have for my birthday dinner? I have no idea but Mom usually fixed more or less what I asked for. Perhaps fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and a salad. There would have been a cake also, but I have no photo since the last birthday that was documented was my 13th in 1956.

1960: This was my out-of-school year and I'd been working as a cowboy girl for about six months. It was not as much fun as it had been to start but the work went on, regardless. Lady mentioned was Lady II and she had been bred to a male burro that we later bought. Her colt would thus be a mule and he was actually born on May 8. 

Colonel and Lobo were two geldings we had taken on consignment with a bunch of mules. Colonel was a big bay, very calm and steady for a younger horse. Lobo was small and an odd dun/gray shade called gruella. He loved to buck and could go along well behaved all day and suddenly pitch a fit a block from home for no apparaent reason! We later sent him back to the dealer.  The North Point of Mingus looked out over the valley and was reached by a steep trail up from the Allen Spring Road out of Jerome. We rode up there often as it was a good workout for animals we were training. 

"Reb" was my nickname for a guy named Johnny Fisher who assisted an older guy lining up livestock to rent for a Walt Disney movie being filmed in the area.They had tried to arrange to rent some of our mules a few days prior and I had taken a liking to young Johnny. RE was a 'former fancy' who I now detested as he had turned out to be married after having led me on for several weeks.

1961: Back in school now and the second half of my Junior year. I think it must have been "Twirp Week" which was an annual  Mngus spring event. Each day was designated for some kind of uniform or costume and this must have been "Dress Up Day." I was never too enamored of the whole idea although "Dress Western Day" a least gave me an opportunity to appear in my cowboy girl persona, very rarely shown at school. 

The fact Dad drove me to school is slightly odd. Usually I think I would have just stayed home that day but there may have been a test or something I felt I could not afford to miss. Why I was not feeling well I did not explain. Journal posts are often a bit frustrating since things made good sense to me when I wrote them and much I "knew" then did not get explained--now it needs to be! 

The three mules mentioned were some I rode regularly and we were clearly keeping at home in Clarkdale instead of out at the pasture. Judy C was one of my favorite and long term penpals. She became a confidante the years I was working at home after graduation and going through some difficult times. I may get there eventually in this project. 

Photos:  Charlie Mike and me ready for school in fall 1959. That may have been the skirt I spoke of--three tiers and lots of rickrack!. Next is a view from the North Point Trail looking down toward Jerome and Clarkdale, hazy in the distance. The third one is Ruby; she was very tiny, really too small for a man to ride with a big, heavy saddle so I rode her the most. Not sure why my sour face! And last, I'm holding Tina with Lady II visible in the trailer. That was the jack burro who fathered Lady's colt. Tina did not get pregnant at that time. We later bought the burro and named him Chili.







No comments:

Post a Comment