Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, November 29, 2021

Memoir Monday: 29 Nov, 1958

Somehow 1958 seems so long ago. Was I ever that young and kind of giddy when I wasn't depressed and frustrated? LOL! 

 

Nov 29, 1958 -- Saturday?Got up early. Did the chores, Helped Charlie Mike with his toys nearly all morning. In the afternoon mailed the story. Went down to Janni’s to see if she could ride with me. After many interruptions we finally got away. We had a real nice time. Caught up on talking for the first time in ages. Guess who I saw today—“Moose”. He nearly crowded me off he road. Came home and did the chores. The Bryants came by and talked a bit. Tomorrow we’re going with Charley when he rides “Carry.” Something’s gonna give I am afeared. I figured a way to put up some of my pics in plastic. It works swell. Vickie Stratton said “You feel like running up and kissing him,” about Elvis. That’s how I feel about Kelo’s picture. Such a smile—you want to smile too. You feel as if you were sharing a secret. Well, I’ve got to say Adios, Gaye


Not sure what was going on with Charlie Mike's toys--well he was only just  seven at this time, so definitely still in a toy age. Lots of Tonka trucks and play tools and odds and ends like we'd both played with often--'making'  and making up things! The story would have been one of Dad's efforts; he did sell quite a few to outdoor adventure mags for several years; sending one off was a big event and might result in some income.

Janni was Janice Benatz, younger than me by about three years but we were good friends and she loved  the horses and mules. Mot of my girlfriends were younger and of course the guys in my life were mostly older...

Charley Bryant was the local horse whisperer and a family friend. He was a main mentor (mane mentor?) of mine as I worked into my cowboy girl days. He did not drive at all so his wife, Elvie, took him places in their old car when he was not wanting to ride there. He rode mostly though and always had a horse or mule. Carry was a mule he was training for Leo Greenough, another influential friend in the circle I lurked at the edge of, mostly my parents' friends who fascinated me.  This little pitcher had big ears and listened a lot; so much of what I heard popped up later in my fiction.

Vickie Stratton was another lower town younger semi-friend. Of course Elvis was such a big thing about then but  I was totally western/cowboy fan-girl  and right then Kelo Henderson who was in the TV show 26 Men was a huge fave of mine. My bedroom corner study/work place was usually decorated with either photos or later some of my own drawings of various "Handsome Heroes" I was crushing on.

Oh yes, "Moose". That was Marvin Kallsen, then a senior at Mingus--pre Mingus Union Mingus--and was more or less my first crush when we both went to school down at Willard in Bridgeport. I was over that but still kind of attentive to him. Those were the days, eh?

About the photos:  

The first is Charley Bryant with a mule. I do not think this was Carry but probably either Blackie or another mule he got from us in 1959-60.  The next is Kelo; I have a  close-up in a scrap book still but guess I have not scanned it into my files! That show was about the Arizona Rangers who were a  real group in the late 1800s and the episodes were filmed in the Phoenix area.  And last, Marvin when he graduated from 8th grade at Willard in 1955 (?) I think that was the year!! I thought he was cuter as a kid than nearing grown up in 1958! Sadly he is one missing from the MUHS Class of  1959 as he died about 2004. His wife was in the class of 1961,  Connie Nesbitt.







No comments:

Post a Comment