Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Monday Memoir, Sept 26, 1964

 September was flying by. Somehow the chores were not as onerous and I pulled mostly free of my chronic depression and doldrums for a time. Somehow I had been sprinkled with a peculiar fairy dust...

Sept 26, 1964, Sat

Up at 7:00 which is late for me. I fed and saddled to ride out. Annie and I hustled along. Of course no one was there to meet us but his ghost was. I came home on the Tuzigoot Road and picked up a bottle. When I got home, CCB was here. I watered and led Leo out along the road. Guess who passed me, honked and waved? A blue and white Fury! I was so surprised I nearly flipped. Saw old WGB (Blondie) and didn’t feel a thing. Oh Dusty, you have cured me of all but you! I led Chief up to the plant etc. Quit about 1:00 when I ran out of time. After lunch Charlie Mike and I walked to town and sold $1.00 worth of pop bottles. They have some cheap film up there which I’ll get some of on Monday I think. I took a shower and "dressed up” for the evening. I’ve really got to make it in the morning for sure. Go with Evelyn to church I mean, Will Dusty be back tomorrow afternoon?  When I think he might be leaving in two or three weeks I nearly die. Well, who knows what may happen by then. On August 26, I never dreamed that all this would. I’ve got to see him every chance I get though. I wish I knew one thing for sure--it’s just wishful thinking though. Oh Dusty, why did you make me fall in love with you?

The days from September 19 to the 26th had been rather pivital. On the 20th, Dusty did get back early and met me on the road headed for the pasture. I told him how to get there and he did. Of course Mom had also driven out and Charlie Mike and I introduced him is our friend. But as fate would have it,  she noticed his ring...and I guess it set off some alarms. At that point I was a bit concerned as well. Then on the 23rd I refused a date but said I'd be out at the pasture that evening and could use some help on my chores. He came and we talked...and talked...and talked.  Not long afterwards I did ask directly and he admitted to being married but spearated. Still, I think that evening was when I really fell in love. It felt like we were two dear old friends who had just reconnected and it was so hard to simply say goodbye and go, even if it was only for a few days or even hours. But as a result, I was late getting home and Dad met me on the road north of Tuzigoot. Although Dusty was never mentioned, things did not truly go well at home from then on. 

From that prior week on, I was never completely 'alone' at the pasture because memories, fragments of conversation and that sense of connection were always there too, reinforced as time went by. So now it was a few days later. I ws riding Annie at this point. I worked her and Prez a great deal and then occasionally added Trixie, Chipper and one or two others to give the two big mules some rest. I'd be hard put to say which was really my favorite. They all had good points and good days as well as some not-so-good ones.

Leo was the young Quarter Horse stud colt and exercise for him and for Chief were a priority. I led them almost every day for at  least half an hour each. I may have chatted a minute with Charley Bryant-(that is CCB; Clayton was his middle name).. Then I got the mail and started on my leading tasks. 

Needless to say I was very surprised to see Danny and his Fury. I guess he was down to spend time with Joyce and why he came over to Clarkdale I do not  know but he apparently did see Dusty about that time also though he was not coming back to Santa Fe, at least not then. WGB was my old nemesis "Blondie" of the  propane truck crew. He had fallen far below even Former Fancy status by now.  That was over, done, and case closed! (Good riddance as he was really NOT a "nice" guy.)

I had been trying to go to church with Evelyn for some time. It really did happen a few times and I enjoyed it. She went to the Baptist church at that time and the people there were nice but I was already drawing away from "Churchianity" as Charlie Mike later called it. Little of it resonated with me.as my personal deity was already visualized as female and from then on always would be. I truly could not imagine or picture a benign, caring and comfortable Father Figure at all.

Found pop bottles picked up on many rides were a main source of spending money for Charlie Mike and me. Refund was a few cents apiece for them--maybe 2 or 3? That was often all we had. It mostly mailed letters for me and got a few small things for him. Now and then we'd find a bunch left somewhere--a  happy windfall!

I did not yet know when B&B 6 would be finished with the rebuild of the Bittercreek Bridge and a few other jobs but expected their stay would not last too much longer. Where they would go next and for how long was unknown. My new connection was still far too fragile and unformed  to even hope that it might continue past that departure. Fortunately for me, they did not leave until early November so there were still days to build on what had begun but the road was precipitous, bumpy, fraught with detours and a few dead ends! 

A few mostly old photos:  The corrals at the pasture. Dusty parked in the bright clear spot to the right of the structure that evening, driving the tri-color Dodge.  Next Annie--the taller one under saddle. And finally Old Prez, with one of the heavier roping saddles used for leading.He wasn't old--maybe 5 or 6 at this time but he seemed 'old' being big and steady.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment