Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Monday Memoir May 22, 1965

Still miserable May, more or less. No, the sickness was not quite over and Tina was still at Dr Shauffler's. Rico was with her all the time as of course he needed the milk and she never dried up for all her sickness. Such a struggle--most of that month was. 

May 22, 1965 Sat

 Got up and did my chores as usual. Lyno came down with a colic early. I made two feedbags and then brought her up. She remained tied to the pole nearly all day. Mom and I did the chores and went to see Tina. I saw Garee Wombacher there and talked to her briefly. I can probably bring Tina home on Monday. Managed to lead all my ponies and rode Buzzie out to do the midday swap. After chores and lunch I came in and took a nap. That was the only thing that kept me going. We took Chief out and bred Peppy a final time. She was nearly out but not too kicky. Rita was in again and chased me to the gate. We gave Lyno an enema and she had a real bad colicky spell for awhile so we ate dinner by turns and watched her. Finally put her up about 10:30 convinced she was recovering. It was a long day.  This sick horse bit gets unfunny after awhile. If only Patsy would have her colt and a few more things get squared away maybe we could do something. It will help to have Charlie Mike out of school. He got a 1- on “my” theme. I didn’t hear from Dusty today to my disappointment. He will probably take his time about writing now. Well, let him. He is not the only guy in the world. Bill Christensen has a new yellow Mustang--large charge and the last blast. I could not care less.

The equine issue problem basically ran the month thru. It was always apparently "my fault" in that I had somehow failed to do things I should or done what I did do in a slack and careless way per Dad's harsh comments.  That was hurtful because I loved every one of those animals so much and sweat blood and tears over them daily. If I did anything wrong,  it was out of ignorance and misunderstanding, not either deliberate or simply not paying attention or caring enough. 

Charlie Mike was in the final days of his grade school career. He had been assigned  (by McLarney?) a 'term paper' type theme The topic he chose was Appaloosa horses and of course I did the major part of it and Mom typed it.  He was not dumb in English or unable to write but that was not his talent as it was mine so I did not mind helping him. Too bad he was not there to help me with algebra a bit earlier. Mom was a math whiz and had trouble with the fact I totally was not one!

Bill Christensen was a former classmate of mine who graduated with the 1961 class and was off to college. I expect the car was a possible graduation  gift from his parents. His dad, George, ran the Standard Oil bulk gas plant at the foot of "the canyon" where a dirt road passed by leading up to a cattle guard at the highway. That site figured a bit in my own adventures later. George was into horses and had a paint (gelding?) we once rescued from being caught in the fence at his corral area which was at a curve on the old road over to Tuzigoot below the tailings pond area. He also got an Appaloosa mare about this time and bred her to Chief. I won't say he "had a crush" on me but he did often stop and talk horses with me here and there. He was nice enough and so was Bill but I was never attracted to the son nor him to me, much less the dad. Hot or cool car notwithstanding! Even a T-bird might not have been enough to pique my interest.

And as always, my complaints about Dusty were far from serious. I just needed the reassurance of a letter so badly at times and when none was forthcoming I had to whine a little. This month was one of those times when I had so little to look forward to or feel good about.  

I name a bunch of horses here, some maybe not shown, at least recently so why not? There is little else to include at this point. First is Chief, registered name Yavapai Chief.  Next is Peppy, who had one colt by him when we owned her (through this breeding) and had been in foal to another Appaloosa (Ding Bat was that colt) when we got her. Behind her is Bunny, bought at the same time, who also foaled that spring,  She was getting close at this time.  Patsy actually foaled later. Last is Rita, who I mentioned  chasing me over to the west gate.  She came from the same owner as Chief, Patsy and Susie, the paint mare. When I use the term "in" it meant the mare was in season or ready to be impregnated. They were receptive then but would normally kick when a stallion came too close. "Not tonight, Sweetie!"







No comments:

Post a Comment