Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, June 10, 2023

Memoir Monday June 12, 1965

June, summer and more of the same in general. The routine varied little from day to day except for occasional trips and days that were blown to bits by "talks"  that ran for way too many hours. To me they were invariably a waste of time. I almost always went back to or started my work in a worse frame of mind, more discouraged, angry, depressed or troubled than before hand. I generally said as little as possible and sat silently, hunched in my corner at the table in the kitchen--which was also where we ate--while I reacted outwardly the very minimum I could. I rarely really understood what the purpose or reason was for these discussions, harangues and family "meetings"--except just part of the whole enmeshed family scenario.

June 12, 1965 Sat

 Got up at 6:15. I woke up at 5:30 this morning for some reason. Did the home chores and patched saddle pads. Charlie Mike got the mail before we left for the pasture. I got a letter from Shirl. We did the chores and I rode Lyno home, making her really hustle.  I led Leo and both the ponies. Saw the local come in. Charlie Mike rode out on his bike so I did the noon chores. After  lunch I wrote a letter to Mayottes and took a nap. We took Chief out this evening and spent an hour fooling with Rita. Got done and home about 8:00. After supper I let Charlie Mike talk me into a ball game. I saw lots of old friends--Bobbi Westcott and Judy Bonnaha with their children, for example. I am glad I waited for Dusty--whatever problems we may have. I’ve now done my hair and nails so I have to shower and get me off to bed pronto as the hour grows late. I may loaf some tomorrow. Wonder where Dusty is? It won’t be long, though.

Not much to explain or elaborate on here. .Making feedbags from empty feed sacks and patching saddle pads, usually with pieces of  old jeans, were regular tasks of mine. It was hand sewing with an over-sized needle and self-threads from the burlap bags and coarse thread for the pads. Not fun jobs but didn't mind if I was left alone and just did the work.

Obviously I was riding Lyno now. We had recognized Dad was too heavy for her and I took over. Never had any bad rodeos or problems with her. Really all the Quarter Horses were almost 'born broke' and just needed socializing and training. Not to brag, but that was my forte, really. I was a darn good trainer.

Shirl was one of my girl pen pals and I am sure I have mentioned her before. She lived in Colorado, originally in Rifle and then in Grand Junction after she married. The Mayottes were some semi-friends in Prescott, One of them worked at the VA Hospital at Whipple where Dad had met him or her--forget which. They had an Appy mare that was bred to Chief and we kept her for a month or so. 

Going out to at least walk around after supper was a long-term tradition Charlie Mike and I were allowed. It had become a solid habit over a period of several years. It was not a huge freedom --normal 10:00 curfew--but very appreciated. Ball games were often part of that time. Obviously this was adult softball teams, not the Little League. By now I know Bobbi had at least one child--her first son was born in the summer of 1961 and there may have been another by now. I think Judy only had the one little boy. I never really knew but suspect she was divorced after a few years. Once I met Dusty I felt I had the better of it. However his return to Clarkdale was not as quickly as I hoped and expected at this point. And so went June, 1965, nearing the middle now.

Photos are limited. Here are a couple. First me somewhere--looking a mule that was probably for sale. Looks like the rear end of the Ford pickup at the side there. From the distant view I am guessing around Camp Verde.  I need to crop and thus enlarge this better. Next is Rita, Dad holding her at the pasture. She was not really broke or trained but not hard to manage, a grade (unregistered/not purebred) Quarter Horse  And finally Mayotte's mare, Freckles or  officially "Candy Lady" Like many Appaloosas, she was not a real pretty animal, at least in my estimate, but nicely marked. Do not know if we ever saw her colt some 11 months later. That is the approximate gestation period for equines. A bit shorter than elephants!!





No comments:

Post a Comment