Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Walking in Beauty

In the spiritual path of the Navajo or Dine people, the phrase 'walk in beauty' appears often and is part of greeting a new day and some ceremonies. However they have a much broader and deeper meaning for the word than the shallow physical attractiveness we normally associate with it. The likes of Kim Kardashian and J-Lo are not truly beautiful from the inside out! Another translation is harmony but even that does not really cover the concept or do it justice.

Still, I have always been enchanted by this idea and try to fully  fathom it. I find it also fits in almost seamlessly with a good deal of the philosophy of the Druids. When you are living in harmony with the world around you you are also practicing the triple mysteries or principles of Truth, Art and Kinship. Those are the guiding lights of the branch of Druidry to which I currently belong and whose path I walk. It is a good feeling to 'fit' and feel you are a part of a much larger and finer entity, call it nature, the Universe or whatever you wish!

Today was one of those perfect fall days in the desert when you can just lose yourself in the good feelings. The sky was an almost unbelievable shade of blue--so deep and pure your eyes were dazzled. Then now and then a drift of the lightest clouds slipped across parts of it. Wind blown and frayed into feathery swirls and patterns like the wind-tossed mane of a wild horse, the pure white made the blue seem even more blue. To top it off the temperature was perfect--highs in the lower 80s and only a light breeze. Oh, it's allergy season and my nose and eyes are well aware of the fact but I can tolerate that! It was a kind of lazy day,not exactly fraught with ambition but that is okay too! Sometimes it is important just to sit, contemplate and absorb and simply be, not doing anything or solving any huge problems or  accomplishing great works! That was what I did.

Part of the time Belle was with me--yes, she is still here. For how long I have no idea for I trust she will tell me when she has had enough. I know she hurts a lot and is often confused and concerned. She will look at me with a question and worry in her dear little eyes. Mama, why don't I feel good? Why can't I do the things I used to? It breaks my heart and all I can do is stroke her tenderly and tell her she is still loved and when she gets to the Rainbow Bridge she will be like that again, forever. But I think she enjoyed the day too--we did our little 'yard walks' and she got her tidbits and treats and savors them. So even that was in harmony and beautiful--one more day we could peacefully spend together.

So I am thankful for a day in which I could walk in beauty and harmony and feel at ease and totally one with my world--and it was a lovely world today. I could ignore all the tragedy and wrong, pain and violence and bad things that were happening elsewhere just for this day. Tomorrow I may go back to tilting at my windmills but today was just for peace and serenity. And I thank the true Powers That Be for that! A day such as this is a blessing beyond compare.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Deirdre. I agree completely. Been quiet - two major deadlines looming - but mostly, I have been chicken to peek in here because of Belle. I am sooo happy to see she is still with you. Whew!!
    Talk soon. Love and (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes this post is very beautiful love the clouds on this picture and the view is so peaceful
    Big hugs
    PS love the picture of the dog very cute

    ReplyDelete