Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Promised answer on photo

Okay, it is a sunrise picture. I took it from my home in Whetstone, Arizona just north of Huachuca City and east of the junction of highways 90 and 82. It was a chilly morning in late February and the sun was rising far south still, somewhere between the Tombstone Hills and the Mule Mountains that separate Bisbee from the San Pedro Valley where Sierra Vista, Huachuca City and Whetstone all are located. Here is another look if you wish to see it again:

The shrubbery along the right was the row of pyracanthia bushes that edged the unpaved road and one of hte Lombardi cedars that were interspersed between them. The dark line in the center was a flagpole sitting in the front yard. My house had been built as a church and had a big wooden double door in the front and some other quirks. The pole was rusty and had no line on it so we did not use it. We were always going to have it taken out but never got around to it.   So that's the rest of the story!

And here is one more similar with my 'snowflake' holiday decorations still on the glass of the front storm doors! And yes, it did snow there a bit at times!

Already I am getting so spoiled to being in the sunny south high desert environment. Today it was overcast most of the day and as a result, chillier than it was supposed to be so I whined around all day and fussed about the 'cold' although it was in the upper 40s and a high of 52 by my thermometer. It would have been a balmy day in Colorado! I know it was mostly a state of mind--when the sun is not shining, it feels cold to me! I dug out a medium weight parka and it felt great!

So I stayed indoors most of the day and played with creating calendars in my Printmaster program. Now I want to get a new scanner--my old one that was the same vintage as the computer I recently gave up on has zonked on me. I think it is actually the disk that came with it which will not load properly anymore to provide the drivers and such that are needed. I'll get my electronics mechanic brother to tinker with it but also start looking for one that will scan all types of photographic media since I have a huge bunch of prints, negatives and transparencies to scan and save in digital form before they deteriorate too far.

My dad, my father in law and my husband were all avid photographers and so I have been also since I got my first Kodak Brownie box camera when I was about twelve or so. That's one of my goals and projects planned for 2013, actually. I'll keep you informed of the progress! And you will likely see some of the results.

Anyway I made a calendar for 2013 with sunset pictures --all mine and there were still more to choose from--and another with railroad pictures, some mine and others that I have collected. Yes, I am also a rail fan for many years starting with watching the 'local' come in to the Verde Valley two or three times a week when I was a kid. I'll save more on that for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment