Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy 2013!

Gee, it's a whole new year by the calendar and already five days of it have zipped by. I don't dare blink anymore. Vroom, vroom. Time has gotten Mazda-powered!!

We got some real (not desert type) snow the 3rd and 4th. About an inch to an inch and a half fell Thursday evening and Friday morning. For the desert, it was cold, too. The high yesterday was 39. Needless to say I only stuck my nose out, bundled to the gills, a few times to give the dogs some air and time to do their business. Of course Ginger was about to bounce off the walls but I kept her under semi-control. I had forgotten how much energy a young dog has, and Border Collies are known to be hyper-charged. Aussies too. Well, Belle and Rico were pretty vroomy when I first got them!  But today the sun was out and most of the white is already gone. For snow, that is about as good as it gets. We got in a three mile walk and she had a good wrestle and roll session with Kaycee. They have just started playing and it is so funny. Beebee is jealous but she won't play that way so she just barks madly or tries to get between them. I need a video cam for sure.

Of course I and many of you celebrated the new year on either Samhain or the midwinter solstice but it is a new year by the calendar, 2013 CE (common era) which I find makes sense as it just matches the current mode of counting without the complexity of AD/BC or anything else. It is all arbitrary but then any counting of time is such. We just use  such methods to give an illusion of order to our disorderly world. We have no idea when "time" began so there is no way to count those years with any accuracy. But it doesn't matter, does it? We are here and now and that is what counts!

Here's a shot of the yard all pretty and white. Within minutes the dogs had it stirred up and far from pristine! But they loved it--except for little Rojo who barely stepped off the cement patio to do his business and came back shaking his feet and looking as disgusted as any wet cat. He is, like his mama, totally not a snow bunny! You can see it wasn't much but sparkly and pretty, just a bit too late for Christmas. Oh well.

So did anyone make resolutions? I gave up on that some years back. Now, in the first week of the calendar year if not before ,I draw up some goals and write or reprint some affirmations and that's what I use to guide my efforts in the new year. I find the affirmations are kind of repetitive the last several years and since I missed some of my 2012 goals, they are back again, a bit restated. You can 'break' a resolution but on a goal, any progress is good even if you do not get all the way there. I feel better about myself that way at least. And having a long term issue with self image and confidence, need all the help I can manage.

One goal is so many words a day and writing at least five days a week on one project or another. Right now have a March 1 deadline and beyond that I'm trying to decide which pieces in my WIP file to get back after again. it isn't always easy to keep them going--any of them, much less all, but most in time do get completed. A few fall by the wayside but they were probably not the good ones where the characters talk to me. BTW, WIP is writer-speak for work in progress.

Anyway I'm looking ahead to a new spring, new projects and work to finish more older ones, fun with the new K9 in the family, trips and more. I hope all of you are too and wish you the very best of dreams come true and peace, progress and prosperity in the year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment