Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

It's here!

Or actually they are here--Hummingbird Summer and that First of Fall Day!! I am soooo ready!

This morning I sat out on my covered patio with my morning coffee and watched at least a half dozen of the flying jewels swirl around my two feeders and zip back and forth, engaging in dogfights to put The Red Baron to shame and twittering in agitated excitement. If there was to be a collective noun for Hummers, like gaggle of geese and murder of crows, it would be a whirl, swirl or a twirl of hummingbirds! I do so love to watch and hear them.

I do not think I have scanned it yet but I have a picture of a little one perched on the barb-wire fence behind my home in Whetstone, AZ about twenty years ago or so. I was quite worried about it for it was later in the fall and the tiny creature perched there for close to twenty four hours. Oh pooh, I will just go get that out of an album and scan it right now! Anyway, not long afterwards, I read in a book about them that my hubby gave me that this was a normal thing. They tend to pause in the southward migration at the edge of the 'winter' country for a time. That's hummingbird summer. And when they feel the colder weather pushing close, they eat all they can, go into a somnolent state while they digest that into energy that is stored, wake up to feed again and then head out for the longest leg of their journey. They take off at a steep angle and get as high as they can go and then slowly, ever so slowly, descend as they forge on south. Most winter in southern Mexico or even farther into Central and even South America. Think of the millions of wing-beats that such a journey requires. I admire them so much for they are fearless, determined, persistent and beautiful, all in one amazing little package! I honor them with my 'spiritual' (Druid and Native American) name of Wind Dancer, which is what some of the native tribes call them. And indeed they do dance on the air! So here are two pix and yes, I was that close. I used the diopter lens (micro photog) on my camera! I think this is a young black-chin.


The wind has shifted and become drier. Already my skin feels it and I do miss the silky feeling of the humidity but still welcome the change. The quality of the sunlight has changed the last few days as well, assuming the golden and softer feeling of fall. The days have shortened perceptibly now and it is easier to get up before the sun although I didn't make it this morning. I worked a lot yesterday and was just a bit tired and lazy today.
Had to take Ginger and Rojito in for their heart worm shots--they were both angels and I was so proud of them!--so that and this blog are about my main efforts for the day. I'm still not used to kind of rationing my energy and taking a lazy day after a harder one but I'm learning.

September is still  my favorite month with October a close second. More on that later, maybe next time.A lot of events that impacted my life have happened in these months so many memories, most good and a few rather sad but that is how life is!

A verse for the season:

    Autumn at Huachuca
                                                                                                                            
Slowly summer fades to fall.                        
In little changes after all                                                                                  
Comes age or death or fall of night.                                        
Only if you tune your sight                                                                          
And other senses can you tell.                                                            
Nature keeps her secrets well,                                                                               
But there are many subtle clues                                                                            
Appearing now to break the news.    
Summer slowly slips away,                                   
Bit by bit and day by day—
 A hint of coolness in the air,
Leaves gone dusty everywhere.                                       
Clouds remain, but not the same                                                       
Even birds have changed their game,                                      
Now in flocks instead of pairs,                                       
Singing different, sadder airs.                                        
                       GMW, © 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment