Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lest we forget...

Twelve years ago today we suffered a shocking horrific jolt that made most of us rethink our security and inviolability here in our sheltered homeland. Although some of the unity and sense of purpose that grew out of those awful events has faded with time, I do think our country is stronger for having survived and moved on. We may have gone overboard in a few areas in the name of security--the TSA and some of the potential abuses of various agencies and departments of the government but perhaps some of this is a genuine trade-off. Terrorism in many forms is likely to plague us for a long time. I'm not sure it can be stamped out totally but we do need to unite and work toward that ultimate goal.


At any rate, September 11, 2001 is a newer Day of Infamy that will stand alongside Pearl Harbor Day as a tragic and I think undeserved attack on our people and territory. I cannot quite remember December 7, 1941 for I was not born yet but I've heard enough about it and studied enough history to feel a visceral shock at what happened. The USS Arizona still lies in the blue waters and since Arizona is my adopted home state. that carries a special significance for me. I did not know anyone personally who died on 9-11 but there were some names I recognized and my heart still hurts for those who lost friends and loved ones.

I think it is wonderful though that the day has been given new and more positive meaning as a Day of Service where millions are taking time to do at least one special good deed or act of service on this day. If we can turn an ill wind to some good, that is a positive step. So let's add it to our calendars along with Earth Day, Make A Difference Day and a few others that we observe with good works. There cannot be too many such so long as we do not become inured to the idea of giving and service. In that way we can say that the three thousand and some did not die in vain and demonstrate that we are not cowed, subdued or intimidated by the acts of a few warped and dangerous people who had no shame or human kindness when they caused so many innocent lives to be lost.

BTW the photo above is mine and was taken in Jerome, AZ in June of this year on my reunion trip. That is of course the US flag and beneath it the flag of the state of Arizona. I cannot see them flying in the blue sky without tearing up a little bit. I am not ashamed to be patriotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment