Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Progressing slowly--but lots of atmosphere!

It is a pretty sunny day with some clouds but rain is predicted for several starting tomorrow. My hostess is off on her little adventure. I ended up getting a rental car since her son and his buddy work in Anchorage part time and the buddy's car is bad order right now so they have to use hers. I can't afford to be stranded here ten miles from town and unable to go meet people so I got a car--a brand new Ford Focus with just over 12K miles  on it. Very nice. I did a little sight seeing just to get used to it and got a few pictures  looking across Knik Arm  toward the mountains that I will share in a bit. I left my cell phone here charging so cut short any further exploration.

I'm waiting to hear from the Berrington sisters and Deedee Jonrowe. Learned yesterday that the teacher--maybe grade 2 or 3--of one of Gail's neighbor's children plans to run the race this year.I doubt I will be able to speak to her but maybe that will be for next time, I'm learning this trip and already see another one in the future to do this book justice. Yeah, it looks like that may be necessary. I won't complain!!

So not a lot more news to report. I'm compiling museums and attractions to squeeze in since I can now drive myself to them  over the next four days--a drive to nearby Palmer tomorrow and maybe to the closest mountain pass just so I can say I did that LOL and get more 'real' Alaska looking photos. It's warm today but you can already sense a hint of fall in the evening and I know summer is very short here. It's a fact that everyone works their lives around.

A quick trip to Walmart for a few things--Walmarts and Walmartians are pretty much the same anywhere. they wear more cammo etc. here than some places but some halter tops and shorts too. Heck, it is almost 70 today and that is summer in Alaska. I was wearing a flannel shirt-jacket over my t-shirt; bet everyone knew I was from the lower 48 LOL. But my debit card works here just like at home..I guess modern tech is good for some things,

I heard from Bro Charlie that it has rained over two inches since I left.Yikes. And Jim said the theater where his grand daughter was to appear in Annie was flooded in the basement dressing rooms etc so  not sure if the show will go on or not, Kinda scary stuff but our house is all right and dogs survived, I guess I had to leave for it to rain!

Well, I am just rambling so enough for now. Here are a few Alaska-ish shots for y'all. The water is salt, an arm of the long inlet that Anchorage sets near the end of. It's name comes from the fact that sea-going vessels could anchor there somewhat out of the fierce winds and storms of the open sea. The mountains are higher than they look, too! South is to the right in all three shots.  BTW still no bears or moose. But did see some geese or swans flying around the lake early today and heard loons and some other bird that shrieks. That is North Woods stuff, anyway!






No comments:

Post a Comment