Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

One More for Veterans' Day

As the sun sank on this day, I sat in my secure little house, in the comfort of my familiar chair. Thoughts drifted across my mind, images of wreaths and flags and poppies, the emblems of the day. One day, I realized, was not enough. Lip service and parades, glib words and careless salutes, empty platitudes of honor and gratitude and perhaps a free lunch. So not enough!

My words are not enough either but they are heart felt and sincere. My grandfather served in the Spanish America war, my father in World War II, my late husband in Korea, friends and classmates in Vietnam and my son in the first Desert Storm. No, nothing is truly enough. Yet it seems to be all we can do. 

War is never “just” or good or right but it is a human failing to divide ourselves into us versus them and fight for whatever pretext our leaders may devise. Perhaps it will always be so. We cannot transfer the evil of the institution onto those who serve; they obey their orders, the fervor of patriotism and sometimes the propaganda that is created to fire up a people. As the sun sinks, I am secure and warm in my little house as so many are not now and never will be or have been. How can we fix this wounded world of ours and our siblings of every color and creed? By all holy, I wish I knew. Still I honor those who have fought with at least a true belief in their purpose. 

     364 Days a Year... 
With little fanfare
            File and rank
Pass in review.
            Will no one thank
Them for their sacrifice,
            The all they gave?
Medals and honors
            They do not crave
But only that we care
            And maybe note
In sweat and blood the epic
            History they wrote.
With little fanfare
            Rank and file
Pass in review.
            Just stand awhile,
Render homage they deserve.
            Honor the price they paid
That all might live in peace
            And unafraid. 
            Someday…


No comments:

Post a Comment