Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, July 9, 2016

A Lighthearted Look Back

In keeping with the topic I wrote of last, I have been reading old journals but that is not all a grim or difficult exercise. There was a lot of fun, adventure, and mischief in my life all the time I was growing up which perhaps took a bit longer for me than for some people due to the fact I did not really get out on my own until I was a few months past twenty three. That reasons for that  are somewhat wound up with the issues I mentioned earlier but also just "how things happened."

Anyway, in those pages where I recorded happenings, thoughts, dreams and impressions, I see a clear thread of a trait that has followed me all my life.  Yes, I have been fascinated by romance and love since I was twelve years old! That happens to be when I began a diary or journal that I maintained until my marriage at age twenty eight and then resumed about a year after my husband's passing. It's a way of keeping in touch with myself, I think. Anyway, over the years I had a lot of crushes on guys, most older and quite a few very unsuitable, at least when viewed with an adult's clearer eyes. But then, that too is part of life. Nothing really bad ever came of it, for which I thank my guardian angel since I did tiptoe along the edge of some deep and stony chasms at times. I never tripped, never fell to perdition. Thank you, Powers, for your care!

I had been interested in art to a degree only a bit less than writing, and from about my mid-teens on I also had a habit of drawing sketches of many of my heroes. Some were from memory, a few from very rough sketches  made in real-life observation and some from photographs. I am not a great artist but I did some fairly good caricatures that captured  traits and distinctive features enough that those who knew the subjects could probably recognize them. Most are long gone now but even if they are not, I am sure they are greatly changed, being as a rule somewhat older than me and I know I do not look much like the girl I was then! So just for giggles here are a few of those portraits, labeled with the nicknames or code names I used for the subjects. RIP former fancies!

Ace

Blondie

Buster

El Rey

Bret Maverick

2 comments:

  1. I really like these sketches and feel that you are very talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not done anything like this for along time. I think "love" or at least a crush was the motivation and not sure if my hands would perform without that. But thanks you!

    ReplyDelete