Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, May 31, 2021

Memoir Monday, May 31, 1962

 I am not forgetting Memorial Day because I never do but this anniversary is significant too.  Right behind my wedding day, some seven years and three months later, May 31, 1962 was the most important day of my life. I am thankful I recorded a detailed report of the event and my feelings and impressions on that day or at least the next while it was fresh in mind. Beginning and end, happy and sad, one huge dichotomy. . . fifty nine years ago.

May 31, 1962

It’s all over—even the glory. I woke up at 5:00 am with Eve’s Curse. Thank heaven that I had some stout pain pills. They saved me. I got up at 7:30 and dressed for my last day of school. I ‘ate’ only a stout cup of coffee and took off armed with camera, annual and purse.  They rang the bell late and I spent my time talking to ‘Reen and signing annuals when people asked me to. Next came the awards assembly. I got a certificate for art and honor roll, my valedictorian pin and a medal for excellence in social studies. I was surprised to get so much.  I got 1’s in every subject for the final six weeks. Even Doubek relented and said “congratulations.” I took a picture of ‘Reen and she took one of me. Anita was crying too much for me to get one of her. I came home in sort of a daze. I got two more cards with $5.00 checks and a lovely watch from Uncle Dan. This is one I can be proud of.  I ate a cup of soup for lunch and gave Dad my speech to look over. He made a few suggestions but was very pleased with it. Mom and I went uptown to get blood tests and xrays from the state mobile unit. I mailed off an order for my riders from Millers. I figured I could afford them now. I took a very brief nap when I came back but soon got up and started getting my things together. I helped Mom lead the mules up but that’s all the chores I did. Before we knew it, the time was slipping away and we all had to hurry to get ready. Dad and Charlie Mike had done the pasture chores. Dad even wore a suit. He didn’t look like himself but very nice. So did Mom, Charlie Mike and Alex. We were plenty early. I had time to talk to a few of my friends before it was time to get capped, gowned and march down the aisle under the arches of flowers. Strangely I wasn’t scared at all.  The program went off very smoothly. I received a $450 scholarship from CSF but I am afraid I won’t be able to use it. Mrs Fitz announced my GCC scholarship and made some very nice remarks about me. I must write her a  letter. I made my speech and although I was unsure of my degree of excellence, I know I spoke better than Secretary Bolin! Soon I was shaking hands with Mr. Patterson, taking my diploma and Mr Ryan was giving me an elbow down from the platform.  Next I was marching down the aisle again. Judy, Rick, D.F. and I gave horrible yells when we got to the 3rd floor. Mrs Reeves nearly flipped. Mr West congratulated me on my speech and I shook so many hands, especially after we went over to the reception. Janni gave me a gift; at least I got one! For a bit I felt lost but then Charlie Mike found me and I went over where the folks were. I got congratulated some more and then it was over. We came home and I looked at all my ‘trophys.’ It was too easy. But I didn’t fail. It was my day and even if I must say so myself, I came through with flying colors. And “King” as there to know I had beaten him. But he was with a girl or that is what they said. I never saw him. I did see Ron Davis though and scads of other people. I was happy and sad… It’s over at last.

Not a lot of explanation needed. Doubek was the music teacher and I had Girls' Glee Club with him; he had given me a "2" all year and I had always been a little ticked at that. 'Reen was my semi-best friend Maureen Jewell; we had been close for a year and a half. Baby brother Alex was just three; he cried during part of the ceremony and  Mom had to take him out, missing most of my speech.  Mrs Fitz was Mrs Fitzgerald, the girls' PE teacher and main counselor; she was always good to me and very helpful. Mr Patterson was a school board member, maybe the #1 at this point, do not recall. He ran a feed store in Cottonwood so we knew him well. Mr Ryan was the Principal and Mr West the Superintendent. Wesley Bolin was the Arizona Secretary of State. and the guest speaker. 

Judy was Judy Jaynes, the salutatorian; she and Rick Patterson had walked together. D.F. was D.F. Frisbee and he had walked with me. Mrs Reeves was our class sponsor I think. "King" was one of my nicknames for Marvin Kallsen who I had known at Willard Grade School back in the 1950s. I chose that nickname for him because his initials were MLK like Martin Luther King, so it was a clumsy joke. He was salutatorian in 1959 and I had rashly vowed I would be valedictorian to beat him. Amazed that I did!! I think he was going with or engaged to Connie Nesbitt by then; she had graduated the year before and they both went to NAU, then still ASC-Flag.  Ron Davis was the older brother of another friend, Judy Davis, who'd been off in the navy; I knew him fairly well. Janni was Janice Benatz, a somewhat younger friend of mine.

There was a big graduation party at Lake Montezuma but as usual, my social life was almost zilch so of course I did not go. I had not gone to the prom or much else that year--or ever. It was not allowed. Yes, I resented it a lot and in my ongoing memoir, a future book, I go into the reasons and a lot into my feelings and bitterness about this part of my life. The next four years were not generally very happy for me. In September 1966, I finally started college at Flagstaff. I did not attend the graduation ceremonies for either of my degrees but that was my choice for a number of reasons--no regrets there. So this one was a kind of epitome for me. I had made it!!

Three souvenir photos of the day/year. In the regalia; the picture Maureen took on the art building steps,  and my senior picture. It seems so long ago, almost like a previous incarnation I somehow can recall. Was I ever that young and innocent? 






No comments:

Post a Comment