Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, October 4, 2021

Memoir Monday, 4 Oct 1963

 I will get back to school days in time but my first full year of cowboy girl life was full of a lot of things also. In a way I see that as a detour and even an error on my part but I am also glad I did take those four years away from the rest of my life and must admit I did a lot of growing in some aspects and certainly learned things  few of my contemporaries ever experienced. The Old West was gone but this was the trailing fringe of it and certainly marked my character and of course my later fiction writing.

Oct 4, 1963 Fri

It gets harder every day to get up but I always manage to do it somehow. I fed and cleaned pens. After breakfast I brought up Leo and Jolly. Prez and I had a fairly short haul. No grain and the critters were okay. I went up for mail. At last I heard from Judy and that was a small bright spot. I  led Chief around and picked up two pop bottles. That’s eight cents much needed. After lunch I wrote a letter and finished outlining my “Pony and the Dark Horse” story. I really believe it has possibilities. I went up to the library at 3:40. Finally I broke down and told the librarian my purpose in checking out these teenage horse books. Back home CM and I went to work. Buzzie had colic. We drove out to do the chores while Dad and Doc S worked on her. We had to eat in shifts and walk her etc. Finally at 9:00 she began to improve. We were ready to put her up by 12:00 or a little before so a long day came to an end. Man, I am really shot. I feel like I haven’t slept in years. I’m glad Buzz is recovering but it sure costs to keep these ponies going. Better luck tomorrow.

I'd been doing "chores" for a good eight years or more by now but they had expanded over time to be a full time job, a very full time job. Although Charlie Mike and of course Dad did a lot of work also,  their efforts were more sporadic and the ultimate responsibility was always squarely on my shoulders. Ostensibly it was Dad's business but he pursued other projects and his worsening bipolar problem would often sideline him for hours or even days in a stretch. The work did not stop at those times. 

That spring we had gotten several young registered Quarter Horses to 'improve our herd' and  they did not take well to the rougher feed and accommodations the old cow-ponies and mules handled easily.  We got well acquainted with the local veterinarian. (Doctor Schauffler). Buzzie was especially subject to colic. 

Judy (Crouch, at that time, nee Quigley) was one of my first pen pals so by now we were well acquainted. She was a very good artist and we were trying to collaborate on some  writing projects with an eye on publishing eventually.  I had begun one girl-and-horse story which became Cindy and the Challenges (never published but I still may someday). Pony and the Dark Horse was another idea I had been considering. I checked out nearly every similar book in the Clarkdale Library to immerse myself in the facts and flavor of the genre. 

I was never actually paid for my work or even had an 'allowance' while in school. Some of the animals were supposedly mine but that was always a bit doubtful! It seems harsh and was but then the family was constantly on the edge of poverty and there was seldom much to spare. Turning in found pop bottles was one way Charlie Mike and I got spending money.  Most people threw them out or hoarded in a shed or back yard  but never recycled. We took advantage of both!

So here are some early shots of the colts I mention.  In order: Jolly--grey filly with big white blaze and 3 white feet--Leo bloodline; Buzzie-bright sorrel with blaze and white foot--Buzzie Bell bloodline; Leo Mix-gray stud colt with star--Leo bloodline. (Yavapai) Chief was the registered Appaloosa stallion we had gotten the year before. Last shot is me on him. For a stallion he was very well behaved and handled as easily as most geldings. I had no problems riding him, even leading other animals so long as not a mare in season. 









No comments:

Post a Comment