Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, October 31, 2021

Memoir Monday, Nov 1, 1960

I'd been back in school for a couple of months after my year off.  It was a big change since Mingus Union came to be that year with a whole bunch of new teachers, a necessary bus ride daily up the hill to Jerome and even more new students since the Sedona area outside of Coconino County was now part of our district. My former classmates were now ahead of me by a year but that did not matter greatly to me. I was not uncomfortable with  the next lower group.

Nov 1, 1960 Tuesday

I guess today was a pretty good day. At least nothing bad happened. Neither Evelyn nor Arlene went to school today but I wasn’t lonesome. Classes were ok. Guess who Owen Childers was flirting with—Vickie Cranmer! Ye gods. Guess I will stick to John (Ferebee) and Robert (Boyce). I even lived through PE. We had a mock election in school. I voted nearly a straight democratic ticket with the exception of Sam Steiger and “Alvie Self” who I wrote in for Sheriff because I didn’t want to vote for Cramer.  Weird, no? That Ferebo is really crazy. He is fun though when he comes down off his high horse. Robert sat with Judy (Davis) and me on the bus like he always does. I like him even if he is a sort of wild character. He must be at  least 19 or 20 since he has quit school twice . He for sure looks older than Bill C and Howard S. He never does a very thorough job of shaving  and wears sideburns. I got my boots earlier than I expected. They are real nice looking—black with turquoise stitching, They are very comfortable and the 12” tops are tall enough to look like real boots without overpowering me. Rode Tiz this evening. She  behaved very nicely. Didn’t see any of my “friends”. Since this is “All Saints Day” I guess they weren’t allowed out of their cages as Mr McLarney would say. Tomorrow I get a vacation from school because I am a witness for the prosecution in the trial of Bill Mack vs the State of Arizona. Maybe I can work in some shopping and who knows what else? Wish Gug would write me an insulting letter so I could tear it up right in front of him. I never said a thing about writing, only talking, waving and looking. Adios, Filly

John Ferebee was one of the Sedona area students He was in charge of the yearbook that year and I was on the staff in Publications Class.As I noted in my journal, he could be fun at times but at others was kind of stuffy or serious or superior acting! In fact I did most of the lettering in a kind of cuneiform style and was pretty proud of my work. I lost my copy and asked on Classmates and was given one--it is all signed over to someone else but at  least I got my own for my senior year.

I am sure Robert Boyce was older but that was okay. I was a year older when I graduated too. I did not think he lived in Clarkdale so I am no sure why he often rode that bus. Judy David and I were definitely Clarkdale kids. I never had a crush in him or considered him boyfriend material but did like him as a regular friend.

it is kind of funny how my high school stuff and my cowboy girl life tended to be all tangled back and forth.  I faintly recall those boots. I wore them for some time, mostly riding since they were regular cowboy boots. As for Tiz, yet another mule that we had. We had Lizzie and Frizzie and Tizzie--all  taller leggy female mules  who were a bit alike in temperament. They were generally pretty easy to handle and not too kicky, spooky or difficult. Liz--there were a couple of them, dark buckskin or brownish with a bit of yellow tint to their coat. Then Friz was solid dark bay-brown and Tiz was lighter, a shade darker than tan but not true brown. 

The "friends" I mention were my nemesis "Gug" and some of his compadres at the propane company etc. They had pretty much fallen off my "handsome hero" list for various reasons and I had finally broken away from Gug, the one I just missed getting into some major trouble with.

I  honestly do not recall that legal matter at all. I guess I did go to Prescott since it was apparently in Superior Court but have no idea if I testified or not! I do not even recall for sure who that guy was. Maybe there was a plea agreement and no trial was even held. It does not seem to be very significant anyway!

Get a chuckle out of the mock election.  Sam Steiger was a horse dealer and quite a character who had a place just outside of Prescott. He and my Dad were kind of friends. What he was running for I have no clue! And Alvie Self for sheriff? That is a hoot! Well,why not; a rockabilly musician could hold that office I guess!

A few pictures--excuse the sideways  views. I'm still messing with photo editing issues for scanned   pix. Self explanatory!





No comments:

Post a Comment