Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Memoir Monday, Nov 28, 1964

 I finally got Dusty's first letter on November 24.  It was not at all 'romantic' or mushy but very matter-of-fact, talking of deer hunting and the weather causing bad roads and such. He did say he missed me and began using the nickname he gave me of "Angel." I have probably said he put me on a pedestal in a way and that reveals it. The next letter he took to going by "Dusty" as I always addressed him, but this one was signed simply "yours always, Charles."

Nov 28, 1964

I get lazier each day and slower to drag myself out of bed. For shame. Did my chores, ate, and Mom and I drove out. Got back a 10:00. I saddled Annie and went up for mail. I got only a letter from Baird. His letters are too nice; I like him too well and I’m foolish to do that. Baird and Norm will both be hard to answer this time. I led Chief and Bravo. Bravo was smarting off so we worked and worked on him, then brought up Dingbat and did the same. They sure were ornery but I like Bravo best. Took a couple of pix of each of them. So it goes. We did “noon” chores at 2:45 so we no sooner had lunch than had to get ready to go to  the pasture. Sheesh, The evening chores were done early. I spent the evening trying to write to Cimarron (Baird). I can’t send what I wrote though. Wish I could drop two of these guys. Three is just a crowd. If only Dusty were really available today, he’d be quite enough but for now he is not. He is probably home now--although he told me he sleeps in Johnny’s room when he’s there--and heaven help him if he is thinking of me. And heaven help me for thinking of him. Oh Dusty, what shall, what should I do?

The work went on. We had brought both Bravo,Tina's son, and Dingbat, Peppy's colt, home and I was starting some basic ground work and such with them since they were about eight months old. Bravo was mostly good but he was a colt and a young stud at that so now and then he felt his oats a bit. I do not recall what he was doing but of course Dad determined some serious discipline was required. And I do not recall those details either. It was not quite the full "bad mule" treatment anyway; that would have upset me a lot. Both colts were generally good and not at all mean or stubborn. Gentle handling worked much better in my (unspoken) opinion. I was partial to Bravo, of course, and he did seem to catch on a wee bit quicker but Diingbat was no dumbie.

Baird was one of the two main pen pals I currently corresponded with, as I have said. He was older and lived in Missouri, an epileptic and not able to work etc. He was divorced but had a young son that he was devoted to also and got to see the boy quite a bit. With my nickname penchant, he had become Cimmaron and Norm was Smoky. I was still being torn with a need to keep faith with Dusty but also to have a failsafe escape if it got too bad. I knew Dusty was seperated from his wife but nothing formal yet and he was desperate to stay as close to his son as possible. That meant he went back to Kingman two or three weekends a month as a rule. I got the sense it was often not pleasant, though.

Photos, of course. I found one of Norm; I'll try to scan and save it to add. And the others are Bravo and Dingbat as Charlie Mike and I were working on them. Okay, Norm first. He had recently gotten out of the Air Force. He was not handsome but not bad looking. I never had a photo of Baird. Next two of me with Bravo and then one of Charlie Mike with Dingbat and one of Dingbat by himself. They were closer to the same size than these pictures make them look. Bravo was bay and Dingbat sorrel







No comments:

Post a Comment