Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Memoir Monday, Jan 30, 1965

 Time to travel again back 58 years. This was not a real exciting day back then but apparently nice weather and a fairly calm and ordinary day. Getting a good 'family' kind of ride was a bonus that did not come along every day. Charlie Mike was now 13 and starting to learn as I had some years before and even got interested to some extent so it was not all just onerous 'chores'. 

Jan 30, 1965 Sat

            Got up late and hurried all day long to repay the ‘debt.’ Serves me right. I rode out to feed, went by to check on the herd and rode on to June’s to pick up Tina. She was glad to see me and come home. Dear old girl. I love her so. Got Chief and the two ponies led before lunch. I ate hastily and went right out to saddle Buzz and Leo for a ride. Charlie Mike rode Prez, Dad rode Leo and I rode Buzz. We went up past the plant on the old roadbed. It was a real nice ride. I’m so proud of Buzz. She walks out so nice, a flat walk, but I can improve on that. Charlie Mike rode Prez free and had a good time. I think. the kids are all getting crazy about horses and that is affecting Charlie Mike.  We got done with the evening chores rather late. It sure felt good to come in. I played records tonight, wrote Shirl, refurbished my camera bag and made a Valentine for Dusty. I miss him so. It’s 11:00 pm now so I’ve got to go. Maybe I’ll dream about someone tonight. Don’t know what we’ll do tomorrow and dare not even try to guess. Work, doubtless. Well, Monday and mail will come quicker that way.

I was pretty strict with myself mostly as I took my job, being a cowboy girl,  fairly seriously. Often I was the first one up although Mom did beat me at times. The first task was feeding the stock there at Clarkdale in the canyon corrals, almost always done before breakfast.

I had spaced out that Tina was over at Dead Horse Ranch. Well, she was in one photo that I shared recently when I was riding with June Parsons. By now she was well along with her second colt who arrived not quite three full months later. It was  always a little odd to see her pregnant and heavier than her normal lean Thoroughbred style appearance. She and I had a very special bond--she knew her name and my voice and would usually come to me even if I did not have a feedbag which was necesary to bribe many of the horses and mules to come and be caught. 

I guess because he was a stallion, Dad felt he should ride Leo. He did some for awhile but it turned out his weight with the big stock saddle he used was pretty hard on the still-young horse and he'd get swollen joints so before long I was riding him the most. That horse had the nicest disposition and was almost uniformly sweet. He acted up very rarely. 

Buzzie was, of course, my pet and baby. I was the only one who ever rode her until she was, in my opinion, totally trained and almost foolproof.  Then Charlie Mike did some and perhaps a friend or two. The next year when Dad, I think mostly just being nasty-mean to me, derided her as a worthless kid-broke horse that I had spoiled and ruined, I was really hurt and mad. What a crock of fertilizer! She was not that at all but a very tractable and well behaved mare. So now I can blow a raspberry and know what I know.

Anyway we rode up in the hills under Jerome after going up on the old railroad bed which had gone from Clarkdale to Jeromein the old days and now went  past the cement plant, now fully operating. Prez was almost always reliable and I had no misgivings in letting Charlie Mike ride him free, not being ponied or restrained at all. Later in the year, Charlie Mike used the big old mule a lot and was able to pony some of the colts and such which was a great help to me.

I was greatly enjoying my new record player. Some of my favorites were "The Other Chet Atkins" in which the famous mostly-country musician played all Spanish and Mexican songs in a near classical guitarist style and "The Dream Duet" in which two opera singers of the time sang some great love song  duets from operettas and musical comedies. I also had one of country singer Hank Snow singing a bunch of songs about trains. Looking back I can see how the two albuns especially influenced Charlie Mike's musical future.  We both have always loved guitars. He has been a guitar 'picker', singer and song writer since his late teens and has performed some.

If course Dusty was still in my thoughts every day, something that did not change for a long time. I had made a bag that would hang on my belt to carry my camera, a small Kodak box camera, out with me on many rides and such because I was starting to collect souvenirs of times and places I knew would not be part of my life forever. I am so glad I did that as I have most of those today, now digitized and saved for posterity. All below are part  of that hoard.

Probably old previously used photos.  I only have so many in that collction but these are pertinent and semi-timely. Okay, first Charlie Mike with Tina and then Tina near foaling to contrast her appearnce. Next Charlie Mike on Prez. Then Leo Mix about two years old and Charlie Mike with Buzzie  also about two. The big truck saw a lot of use during this era. It was an F700 Ford with dual speed split axle, a power house really. I drove it rarely; it was a bit challenging!









No comments:

Post a Comment