Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Memoir Monday, Jan 9, 1965

 I had received a letter on the 6th which kept my spirits up. It was still not mushy or over-the-top-romantic --that was not Dusty's way really--but it was sweet. This day was typical January--even then not my favorite month-- but no worse than many and better than some. In the past couple of years I was well on the way to becoming a caffeine addict and it was a needed boost for me many times. Also with an aspirin or two helped fight off headaches and other pains. Mom had got both Charlie Mike and me hooked on it with making us half and half cocoa and coffee from our pre-teen years on. 

Jan 9, 1965 Sat

            It was cold again but Saturdays are always busy. I rode. No trouble this morning anyway. I caught Chip and headed down river. Saw the new deputy sheriff name of Grimes. He appeared to be friendly. But I’ve got Dusty so… Nothing impressive. In the mail nothing for me but a letter from Tee. I led the four big ones again briefly. Saw the local in and out. They had a cat to clear the track apparently. No news there either. I’ve developed an awful weakness for trains in recent months though. Finally the chores were done and I came in to lunch. Spent a couple of hours on my article after reading the paper. I hated to get up and go out but consoled myself with a cup of coffee. (I can’t let Dusty be a solitary drinker! (ha ha))The chores were uneventful. Got to go get hay and wood tomorrow again I guess. Charlie Mike may soon have two bikes running. Wouldn’t that be phenomenal? They won’t stop for a sweet voice though. (So I hear.) Back to the grind again and I did it. My rough draft is done and about ¾ of it is half-polished. The Boss is to read it over tomorrow. Guess he will chop it rough but that is what it needs, doubtless. Next week I think I’ll return at least the recorder to Cim unless he writes a very moving letter. Dusty is just more my style. Norm and his greed, Shetlands and crooked face got chopped. Cim is a little too eastern or cultured or something for me. I’m surprise to see the sentiment in Dusty but I am sure he is Irish or at least a good part. About as ‘Anglo’ as you can get: “my” blue eyed coppery haired Charles Duncan Watt. He really is quite a guy. If only--maybe love really will find a way.

Odd to read Grimes' name. Later he was very active in the legal and other efforts that finally resulted in the total Morgan Meltdown in 1966-67. However, I do not think it was personal  but just  "doing his duty."  Even by this time, the senior Charles Morgan aka "Chuck" had quite a reputation and an "enemies list" to equal any current politician! In retrospect I know a greater part of that was brought on totally by him and his attittude and actions. The sad part was that it came down like a dump truck of shit all over our whole family and even the animals.That has been hard to understand and harder still to forgive!

Of course the local was the bi-weekly Santa Fe train that came in, usually on Tuesday and Saturday, but someteimes off schedule with weather and other issues. Charlie Mike and I both kept a close watch on that train and its activities. Rock slides up the route to the junction at Drake were not infrequent since the track was cut into the mountainside for much of the distance. Going twice on the modern scenic trip which uses that exact same track and route, I am amazed at what was done with mostly manual labor, some dynamite and a few mules over a century ago! It is still tough to maintain. 

I now often quoted things Dusty had said. I'd mentioned a near accident bike riding and he told of one he had as a kid and said "they won't stop for a sweet voice."  His droll humor amused me at times. I had become disillusioned about Norm--not sure what he had said but I felt he was too grasping or perhaps greedy. And that spilled over to Cim also, who I feared was getting too attached to me when it was really impossble and I did not know him save by his own words--not an unimpeachable source. On a  hopeful note, Dusty had said  "Love will find a way if you give it time." That was about as 'mushy' as he got! Fearing to lose his son in the ongoing issues,  he was between a rock and a hard place right then and for quite awhile. 

Chip was a nice little mule. He was a bit bigger than Trixie and Ruby but way smaller than Annie and Prez. I don't think I have a photo of him but he was a typical brown-gray 'mousy' colored mule with no special markings. On my number disposition scale he was the good in-between: about #3, not too hyper but never lazy or balky. 

In short, life went on, mostly little to mark a new day, week or month beyond same-o, same-o. Yet there were small miracles and bright spots. One was coming before long...

{Photos--shucks, not much new to share!)  Okay, I have mentioned June Parsons and will again off and on. Here she is in her usual riding attire. I think the horse on the left with the white foot is Tina. And I am partly visible outside the garte on Annie. Then we go to trains. Here is a typical view of the local on the tracks behind the old depot at Clarkdale. Next is a newer GP unit in the long-time traditional blue and gold Santa Fe livery.   GP stood for "General Purpose" and these and many later deisel locos were all from EMD--the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors. The last picture is a typical GP-9 with the 'zebra stripe' paint job we saw most often at Clarkdale. GP-9 is still my fave! Note--the two Geeps are not my photos but off an ATSF fan group site.






No comments:

Post a Comment