Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Memoir Monday, Nov 13, 1965

Another day in the life, so to speak. I had seen worse but also better.  If memory serves, The Boss had suddenly decided we needed a feed box in the lower pen at the pasture to conserve hay. He had "other things to do" so Charlie Mike and I were assigned that task. We did not have any spare lumber for some reason --not even old stuff to dismantle--so we had to scrounge what materials we could on site.  It took all day and we did not quite finish so had to continue the next day. 

Nov 13, 1965 Sat

Woke up and did the home chore as usual.Ate and loaded hay and waited. Finally Mom drove us and our tools out about 10:00 and w did the chores and started on our feedbox project. It was hard and we cut posts, dug holes and hauled dirt. My wrist and elbow got so sore I could hardly work but I did. I had to and I did. We heard the local come in but could not see it, of course. Finally the Boss brought us lunch . We ate and cut rails. I thought it was too many but we used more than I had guessed. Worked until sundown and finally quit and did the chores. Tina seemed a little off feed. Did the home chores just before darkness set in. Hauled hay down etc. I was a fink and spent the evening writing letters. Wrote to Mr Stenhouse about Tina's "Arabian" sire, wrote to Judy and began a letter to Dusty. It was 11:00 when I finally went to bed. So I dropped off to sleep fairly quickly but aching in every muscle and bone.  

One fact did lighten my spirits despite the toilsome chore. Friday I had made the quick run out to swap animals around as usual. I expected I'd be late but hoped to get back to town before Dusty left for the weekend. I had not seen him since the last Friday. As I approached the steep incline up to the end of  the river road, I found him there, waiting. The first thing he did was hold up his left hand. It took me a  minute but when he wiggled the ring finger,  I saw it was bare, a white band of skin where the ring had always been. "I cut it off yesterday," he explained."The agreement has been signed and my lawyer friend filed it today. I've got to go over and get my official copy but I wanted to tell you first." We did not talk long but he repeated I should let him know if things got too bad and he'd find some way to help me. He knew the situation was disintegrating and he was worried for me. I'm not sure why I had my camera along but I snapped a couple of new pictures of him.

We started on our job as soon as the feeding was done.  We cut mesquite posts for corners and  supports, dug holes to set them and hauled dirt to raise the bottom some. I guess it was at least 2:00 when Dad brought our lunch. After eating we cut rails-- probably cottonwood or willow saplings. The details are unclear. He may have used the chain saw for some of that. I was concerned about Tina as she had been doing well since she finally recovered from her sickness after Rico's birth. So well that we had bred her again--which I always regretted later. She might have died the next spring anyway but...

I had long been curious about her ancestry. The Arabian just did not feel right. Mr Ortmann, who sold her to us, had given me an alleged pedigree and I finally connected her supposed sire to a man named Malcolm .Stenhouse. He was an old area rancher and horseman, I think then based down at Camp Verde.  So I got an address and wrote him to inquire.  I used the rest of the evening on other  correspondence. My arm and hand hurt like heck but I wanted to get that done. Finally went to bed before they got after me for being up too late  By this time, late fall, it was getting chilly at night and I do not think we had built a fire in the stove..Several quilts and wool blankets felt heavy but made me cozy once I warmed my spot.. 

So photos now. First an old one of the pasture corral. We built the box in the farther pen, the one on the ditch edge, upper left corer. Next one is Tina, some time that fall,  and finally the two I took of Dusty Nov 12, 1965. 







No comments:

Post a Comment