Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sunsets



















Although sunset does not start with a D, they are and long have been a favorite thing of mine. I have many photos taken beginning when I was using a little Kodak "Brownie" box camera way back in the dark ages and moving all the way to the digital age through several 35mm SLR cameras of varying quality, both slides and negatives! Someday I will get them all scanned.

Arizona and New Mexico, because of the dust in the air I am told, are both known for fantastic sunsets. I'm not sure what season is the best for them as I have seen beauties in every season of the year. Usually the only requirement is some clouds to pick up the colors and their position in the sky so the sun can shine underneath them as it goes down. The picture on the opening of this blog is one I took about a month ago right here in my new home in Alamogordo, NM. I am at the edge of the foothills of the Sacramento Mountains which are the location for several communities such as Ruidoso, Cloudcroft and Capitan. There is a lot of history here but I will save that for another time. Anyway the locale gives me a great view across the Tularosa Valley to the San Augustin and Organ mountains that separate this valley from the Rio Grande Valley.

While there is not a spectacular sunset every evening, they are frequrent and a few are absolutely breath taking. The one on the left was the same evening as the opening shot and the other was last fall shortly after I arrived. In a separate post I'll add a few verses about sunsets that I composed over the years. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous sunsets! You know I love them, too. Yours are so different, with mountains and land. I'd love to see one again. (been ages since I have been out that way)

    ReplyDelete