Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dust--another D and related oddenda

It's been a few days but I have been busy. I know there are more dog stories to share but this is not the night for that. Instead I'll talk about dust. Living the greater part of my life in the high desert of Arizona and New Mexico, dust and me are old friends. If I were a Martha Stewart type housekeeper I would be pitching a conniption fit every time I turned around. Even if I did dust every day--which I don't LOL--you could probably write your name on my coffee table any day--if you could find space between the potted plants. The plants make less surface to dust and also by being together I do not forget to water one or more.

Me and plants have a love-hate relationship. I love them and they hate me or so it sometimes seems. I can grow pothos and a few other super hardy ones but a lot just curl up and die when they see me coming. But oddly, I have managed to nurse thru a total of four moves a Ming Aurelia which is said to be a finicky plant. It was given to me by a sweet little Japanese lady who had a nursery with her husband near Douglas, AZ. My late hubby and I bought a couple of peach trees there and since it was the latter part of May--about this time--she gave me a strange little tree looking plant for a late Mother's Day gift she said.

Well that was probably at least ten years ago as Jim has been gone since November 2003 and it was more than a year before he passed away. Not until late last year when I was getting ready to move from Colorado Springs did I learn what it was! I was giving a bunch of my plants to a friend and saw one like mine in her house the day I delivered them. Carrie is a plant-witch par excellence and makes African Violets preen, all sorts of struggling plantlets thrive. Anyway when I asked she told me--Ming Aurelia. I looked it up line and there it was. It struggled a bit after this last move but is doing great now, repotted again into a slightly larger container.

But I digress. Dust--Dust in the Wind, all we are is dust in the wind. So sang Kansas in one of their songs that especially spoke to me. And here in Alamogordo, dust in the wind is a common occurrence. WE have had about three serious haboob type dust storms since we arrived, from late winter on. Another one today but the worst winds are above us as is the heaviest dust, mixed with smoke from a number of major forest.brush fires in Arizona and a couple here in New Mexico. So no use dusting for a few days...which is fine by me. Actually except it is a bit bad for allergies and irritates the eyes etc. I don't mind too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment