Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

I guess I am a mom of sorts--I got my kids second hand and housebroke LOL but they are still precious to me and we have become good friends now that we can meet as near equals and adults. But I don't normally take a lot of note of Mother's Day. Oddly though, something got me thinking that direction today--maybe the fact that I'm catching up to my mother's age--for her life ended at the age of 76 and 3/4 when she succumbed to ovarian cancer in November 1996..

My parents met due to the disruption of World War II which sent a man from Missouri to Lexington Army Depot in Kentucky, which was mom's home state. Her ancestors had deep roots there, dating back to the days of Daniel Boone and the Revolutionary War. They met, fell in love and wed within two months. That happened often in those days, for when war threatened, people were inclined to grab what chances they could for happiness. Living together without marriage was much less common in the early 1940s. Here is a picture of my parents at  that time, I think on their wedding day; they were married in a parsonage with few attending.  I cannot recall them looking either that young or that happy but I am glad for them in the joy reflected in their smiles here. It was July 6, 1942.

Twenty nine years and a couple of months later, it was my turn. I was married in my father-in-law's home, another simple and quiet family wedding. That was on September 3, 1971. A Methodist minister did the honors and before he performed the ceremony, he asked my future step kids, at least the two younger ones, if they were willing to accept me as their new mom. I guess they were and he went ahead and married us.

Despite some dire predictions in both cases --I had known my future husband only four months when we wed--both marriages lasted until the death of each husband. My father was just short of 77 years old when he died in a traffic accident and my husband had a massive heart attack at the age of 73. So mom was married for forty six years and me for thirty two. She bore three children and I none but I feel I have two sons and one daughter just as she did but the girls' birth order are reversed. I was the eldest and Jennifer, who chose me almost before her dad did, was the baby.

Besides my human children, I have been a mom to a number of furkids, as you know. Right now I am mom to Belle, my Aussie girl, and 'auntie' to a couple of Blue Heelers that also live in the household. A friend sent me a very sweet anonymous piece about the joy and pain of being a furkid mom. I will go get it and post it in a separate entry since I found it touching and it certainly captures some good sentiments that I identify with!

For all you moms and grandmas and mothers-to-be, I wish you joy and thank you for the incredible service you do for humanity as your pour your love and time and energy into your offspring be they natural, adopted or fostered. For a mother, it really does not make any difference because that is what love is like. Motherhood is not a biological matter but a function of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment