Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Monday, May 7, 2012

A new D--dragons

Being at least a quarter or more of Welsh descent, I have a special spot for dragons in my heart. Of course the traditional Welsh flag has one smack in the middle.

My late husband had a whimsical streak. Early in our relationship we named the Mule Mountains between Bisbee and Sierra Vista, AZ  "The sleeping dragon." It only took a wee bit of imagination to picture the sprawling shape, head near Tombstone and tail extending to reach close to the border fence--yes, the Mexico/US line is only a few miles south of Bisbee!

One summer while we were up on a hill above Bisbee to watch the annual Fourth of July fireworks, I snapped this shot. Of course we called it "the dragon's breath". I haven't found another to scan in but in time I will--taken the same night and showing both some of the man-made fireworks and a bolt of lightening back throuh the pass in the Sleeping Dragon's back--it has a couple of humps like a camel LOL--to the west. Over the years, I have taken a lot of fireworks pictures--they never turn out quite the way I hope but I still try. I am a huge fireworks aficionado and feel like a sulky kid if for some reason I do not get to see any around Independence Day. Here in my new home I am not sure what will be available but I will do my best to see some! Every year I declare it the best I have ever seen!

In the years I stayed in Arizona after my husband passed away, I loaded up whatever dogs I had and drove to find a place where I could see as many of the area displays as possible. There was one spot on highway 82, west from "Mustang Corners" where state routes 82 and 90 crossed, that I could get a good view of Huachuca City, Sierra Vista and a bit of Tombstone and Benson as well! That was awesome. It was too far away to take pictures without a super telephoto lens but also far enough that the booms and cracks did not alarm my canine companions so that was perfect! I shared the views with Sadie, Rico and Belle. You will meet them in  future posts, probably one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment