Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dog sleds and Dermatologists

Oh wow, Aliy Zirkle is back in 2nd place behind veteran musher Martin Buser who a few years back made the fastest run ever of the Iditarod--finishing in eight days when the norm is ten and up.. She is burning up the trail though! Out of the checkpoint at the village of Iditarod which is about 65% of the trail behind her now. She took advantage of the good rest with the mandatory 24 hour layover which she took at Takotna and had fallen back to about 11th but made up a lot of ground today. Of course the race is not over and the last stretch is the real test and sorts out the true mushers from the cheechakos! Anyway I am psyched for her and hope her luck holds. Go Aliy!!

As to the dermatologists, today was my turn to go get the old sunburnt complexion cleared up. Right now I look like a bad case of the measles and chickenpox all at once but in a couple of weeks I will be pretty again--well at least as pretty as I can be ;-). The liquid nitrogen treatment for those actinics, brown spots etc is technically freezing but it burns like a son-of-a-gun! But there is no sign of recurrence of the actual cancer I had on the side of my nose where one of the pads of my glasses fits that I had removed in June 2008 which was good!

As cities go, Las Cruces is barely in the category but just a day of driving to and around the town reminds me of how glad I am to live out in the boondocks. It is just a hassle and a pain in the sitter, construction, traffic, one way streets, bah!! Even malls are not much fun anymore. The Mesilla Valley Mall is Dillards, JC Penney's, Sears and a bunch of (I guess) trendy little clothing stores and such for the much younger than me set. The Barnes and Noble was the only place I really shopped! A pox upon them all! It was good to come home! I am a charter member of the hate-to-shop gang. It is so much easier on the internet!

Mush huskies and a big floppy hat for me for awhile when I am out in the sun!.More Celtic stuff tomorrow, I promise. Recipes, okay???

No comments:

Post a Comment