Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Race Wrap Up

I managed to catch part of the video cast of the live finish--a little faster/earlier than had been anticipated. I caught Seavey going under the arch--first. Aliy was about 18-20 minutes behind, 40 minutes closer than she ran her second last year. All the pundits kept saying she'd make her move in the last stretch but I believe she held to her philosophy that the dogs' welfare comes first--regardless. They had given her one heck of a good race and she was not going to demand more of them at that point since it was iffy she could actually pass Seavey and make it in first. Some said it was a lead dog battle--his big male and her smaller female; it takes a hugely aggressive lead dog to pass another team and forge ahead. But she ran a bleeping great race and I am very proud of her and that great group of dogs!!!

Aliy is certainly bringing glory and glow to dog racing. She is very attractive and a hugely charismatic and personable person as well as just being honestly nice! She had to be exhausted but she spared a few minutes for well-wishers and the press, then dug in her sled bag and walked through her team to give treats and some love to each one. Tails were wagging and they looked good--amazing considering the run they had made in 9 days and so many hours etc. The love between them and her was so real you could feel it, and her fans there-- she is extremely popular-- were giving it back to her big time!! It was not the fastest Iditarod but they had some wicked conditions with unusual heat and melting. It is cool to have a strong and courageous woman do this and one who is almost a 'star' type person. Bewhiskered Seavey is taciturn and stern; he was tired and the dogs were too. He's in his mid 50s and it was showing. But he is one tough competitor and ran a very canny and skilled race. My hat is off to him as well. I'm betting on Aliy being back next year.

Eleven racers are now in. Seavey the younger was a pretty close fourth. Deedee Johnrowe made it in 10th. So although some fifty mushers remain on the trail, the 'race' is over. They'll stream in the next two days. Ten have scratched now from the original starters. So now back to business as usual but it has been fun and exciting and I hope you all enjoyed my sharing since I suspect it is new territory for most of my readers.

Off now to walk and work my K9 champ who has to be the best part Border Collie in New Mexico! She did great on her training yesterday and Jacque and I were both pleased and proud of her. Her new confidence is coming thru and she's lookin' good!

No comments:

Post a Comment