Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hummingbirds are back!

For over ten days I have been spending most of my time in the house and quite a lot of it horizontal or semi-reclining but I did hear a couple of hummers--the distinct buzz of their wings and the faint little twitters they make--on a rare expedition out to soak up some sun. So I managed to heat up some sugar water and fill and hang two feeders. It's been windy a lot and that doesn't help my situation or that of several of my friends and family but we are all on the mend at last.. The last two days I have been sitting out on the patio some though and have seen at least three of my little mascots. They are just so amazing!

I had a flu shot but this flu-type bug charged right in over it. Causes a head full of nasty gunk, a hacking, gagging cough, some fever, body aches and general misery. Then I got a sinus infection on top of it and finally went to urgent care for some antibiotics as I may have mentioned. After a week of that treatment the infection is nearly gone. I am feeling noticeably better but still not up to full speed and energy. That will probably take another week or two. Drat and darn. I have lost two weeks of time I needed to get a bunch of projects wrapped up and more plans made for my potential Alaska trip. Still waiting on replies to some letters I sent but I expect I will be hearing from some of them soon.

My roses have burst into bloom. Three of the bushes are almost covered in buds and blooms. The sweet scent fills the patio area and adds a pleasant ambiance to my already favorite place. The hummers zoom by and check out some of the blooms. I'm not sure how much nectar roses have but if the scent is a sign, they must be sweet! I'll try to get some photos soon. Meanwhile here are a few I took last year. With an added year to grow and develop, though, they are even more spectacular!! Although the photo is not as spectacular the third one is my favorite; it is a gorgeous apricot hue and as sweet scented as any rose I ever grew. I get the names mixed up so will have to go back and double check my planting records! Also my iris should begin blooming before long. Most are white but there is one pretty purple-bronze one. Now if only my lilacs will grow enough to bloom!!




No comments:

Post a Comment