Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Friday, November 1, 2013

Introspective Verses

In the past I compiled two books of poetry, one commercially published and the other self-published in a very basic form for family and friends. The former is Walking Down My Shadows which is available from Eternal Press, now a subsidiary of Damnation Books.(No comment on the firm's name, please. I had nothing to do with it and do not either praise or condemn.) The other was Mother-Daughter Lines and included poems my mother had written which I found while going through her personal papers and souvenirs after her passing. There were some odd parallels in our writing such as the fact we both wrote our first simple verses at the age of eight! We also addressed similar topics at parallel stages or our growth and maturing. It was rather interesting and also odd so I put them in a book.

However I find there is a good bit of my work that didn't make it into either book. I'm collecting and reworking the earlier collections now. Some I have written since or found after the books were completed and others were left out to keep them from being even more top-heavy than they were!  I am such a wordy and prolific writer, often to my sheer chagrin! Much of it should be ruthlessly consigned to the flames but I cannot quite bring myself to do it. I'll leave that to my beleaguered heirs who will have to deal with my dubious legacy! I smirk a little, paraphrasing the little mot: I smile because you're my kids and laugh because there is not one thing you can do about it!

Anyway I came across a few verses recently that perhaps offer a streaked window into who and what I am and for what it's worth, I will share them here. Raspberries, boos and hisses or mild kudos are all acceptable as comments LOL. Poetry is a very personal and individual thing; these words won't say to most readers what I actually felt nor will any two read them exactly the same, I am sure. That is okay. Art of all kinds is subjective and everyone puts his or her unique perspective into viewing any work of art.

What, no pictures? Sorry, maybe tomorrow!

Two Verses, Dec 2011 (composed shortly after I moved into my current home)

            A Last Home
Coming home to a new place
That never has felt strange.
Hills and heat and dusty dry
Are all my heart’s home range.

Settling down in this new place
That’s never felt unknown;
Desert mountains edge the space
Like every home I’ve known.

I plant roses, dig my dirt
To stake my heart-home claim.
Feel a sense of deja-vu
As if it knew my name.

Maybe it’s the final home
That this life has for me.
If so I think I am content
And I will let it be.

            Relics and Ruins
Sifting through the ruins now—
Shards of dreams and long gone days--
I shake my head and wonder
At the tangle of life’s ways.
Souvenirs I chose to keep
And those I cast away
Strike me now both wise and strange
As I look on them today.
The one I used to be still lurks 
In who I have become;
Loves and dreams and plans built
This self, all I grew from.
The product of a rocky path—
Scars, obvious and unseen
Strength and courage to go on
To a future that seemed mean.
Yet it is good to be here now
Where I was meant to be;
The journey near an end somehow,
And the time for flying free.

And one written early this year: 

Turn Another Page...
Time to turn another page
As once again life changes.
We live, we grow, we learn, we age
As destiny rearranges
The pattern of our days.
We start in new directions.
Follow down new winding ways
And seek new intersections.

We shut the door behind
Though sometimes memories follow
To which we can’t be blind
However hard to swallow
Are those remnants of the past
Be they pleasant, raw or tragic
They are with us to the last
And by time’s fateful magic

They weave through the design
That makes us who we are
As pressure and heat refine
From dross the golden star.
Would we still be the same
If somehow we had missed
Each stumble, strike and blame
That comes as we exist?

We thrive on complication,
Threats, challenges and such.
Cloying sweet stagnation
Would smother us so much!
If life were bland and tame
And our strength never tested—
What purpose to a game
With no records to be bested?

1 comment:

  1. Beauiful words, old friend, as always. You know how much I love your poems. Walking Down My Shadows is ever close, always on my desk, for when I need a moment apart from the day-to-day hectic.

    Loved the two above poems, love them all.

    ReplyDelete