Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pictures!

I'm going to divide today into two posts so I do not bog things down with too many photos!

Ginger and I took an interesting walk today. We went end to end in the Alameda Park which runs for about a mile between White Sands Blvd, Alamogordo's main drag and the business route of the highways, and the Union Pacific tracks. It's a nice park, grassy and favored by dog folks, most of which pick up after their pooches. (Hurrah and a pox on those who do not!!) The city is trying to save the ancient Cottonwood trees--kind of iconic since alamo is cottonwood in Spanish and gordo is large or fat or round. They're trying some chemicals to help the trees extract water better and shed the damaging salts and minerals. Also there have been some new young ones planted. They've already gone golden while the big old ones are kind of spotty right now, half yellow and half still green.

After that we crossed the tracks on 10th street--no, I will not walk or try to drive across the tracks at anywhere but the designated places--and drove up a little-used road to an area where there was once a kind of industrial complex, an old sawmill and some small factories or workshops etc. They are now derelict and deserted but I find old buildings quite photogenic and had been meaning to try a small photo shoot down that way. The light was very moody and evocative with clouds scudding by driven by a very brisk southwest wind at the higher levels. I think that gave a good ambiance!

Then, a couple of days ago, I did go back and get some shots earlier of the Salt Cedar and spangle-top grass that I mentioned a couple of posts back. So first, I'll do the local flora ones and then in a second post I'll share a few of the old buildings.


 Here are the salt cedar and the grass: I love that blue sky in the background! I bet you can see why turquoise has always been one of my favorite colors.. The salt cedar foliage is a pretty color too, don't you agree?  The grass is odd but pretty, subtle color as more goes dull with the approach of winter.

And now some more blue and gold from the park! Ginger and I enjoyed the brisk, damp air--there were a few small squalls even with a bit of thunder over night! The clouds really set things off and give every scene some character and enhancement. Fall is just so very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment