Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ten years ago--Scots and Marines!

I did not address it on the day, but November 10 is a significant day also. For one, it is the 'birthday' of the United States Marine Corps which claims to be the oldest or senior of the armed forces of our nation. Most Marine units and most Marine Corps League units (a fraternal organization for former Marines) celebrate the date with an annual very formal dinner and ball. Jim always wanted to go--him in a kilt and me in a long kilted skirt and sash in either the MacDairmada plaid (which he believed was his ancestral line) or one designed for the Marine Corps who had close ties with various of the Highland Regiments in the past. Sadly we did not get to do this. Like we were never able to get to Edinburgh for the annual Tattoo celebration although we collected videos of all that had been so filmed before his death. Jim cherished his Scots heritage, although he was not able to document it, having been adopted and the records sealed to where he could not access them even some seventy years after the fact.

But, it was totally fitting somehow that he should go to the Final Parade on this date which meant a great deal to him. James LeRoy Walton passed from this world on November 10, 2003. So Sunday it had been ten years since he and our little dog Butch departed within minutes of each other for the Great Beyond. That was one of the strangest coincidences--and many say there are no coincidences; I tend to believe this as well--that ever happened to me or involving me. I feel it was fate and the intent of some Divine Power that they should make the journey together. At the time it was a double loss and fierce shock but even then I sensed a rightness about it.

I have not scanned my photos of Butch yet but he was a typical Brittany Spaniel, red and white, and a handsome dog plus one of the sweetest dogs I ever knew. Perhaps not the brightest crayon in the box but gentle, loyal and until he grew old and stiff, loving of fun and especially running. I'll try to get to some of those pictures soon. But I do have the first and last pictures of Jim and me together--the first one taken on our wedding day, September 3, 1971 and the last at his class reunion in the fall of 2003. So I will share them. I was a 'hippie bride' in a dress of green that I had made for myself. We tied the knot in his father's living room before a Methodist minister who asked the two kids still at home if they would accept me for a step mother before he would conduct the ceremony! I thought that was pretty awesome. They both agreed--maybe regretting it later, at least at times, but I think mostly not too dismayed. I think we built a good family.


So go in peace and harmony, my dear life-partner and best friend and my sweet little canine companion. You are both still missed and deeply loved but as you would have wanted, for you said so, Jim, and I know Butch would have agreed, I was to live and not merely exist for the rest of the time I was given to complete my life here. I have tried to do so and have found more friends of all kinds to walk these new miles with me in various ways. I know you will be there to greet me when I pass through the veil and it will be a joyful reunion.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece this is! (((HUGS)))

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leah. It is without a doubt from the heart!!

    ReplyDelete