Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Couple of Poems

I'm getting pressed for time and very excited but wanted to add a wee bit to the post I did the other day. I really got into the idea of making champions, or perhaps I should say self made champions and then, since it is still July, I'll also share a verse I wrote about fireworks. I went into my passion for them earlier this month. Things from my heart tend to come out in rhyme; they always have.

Next time you read a new post here I expect it will be coming from Alaska!!! I have my good camera and two backups so there should be pictures. Extra batteries and what not, too. I may not get a selfie at the Anchorage airport since I am not sure how light it will be at 12:30 a.m. but there is a chance. If not I will try to get one at Wasilla with the ubiquitous mountains in the background to show where I am!

BTW, my box arrived according to my hostess so I will have clothes besides the one change going in my suitcase--a small one that will stow under the seat. I hate to check bags--so much can happen to them.  So here are two poems. They are copyrighted as all of this blog is, I  might remind you. not that any of  my dear friends and readers would violate that! Go in peace and we'll visit again soon!

Self-made
A Champion is made within
From will to try, to strive, to win.
To work with all your heart and soul
And mastery make your total goal.
To stretch, to hurt, to sacrifice,
To listen to mentors and advice
But then to follow your own star—
However high, however far.
To want much more than anything
To scale that peak, to snatch that ring.
To say I will, believe I can;
Be deaf to any beast or man
Who seeks to hinder, hold you back
From dogged following that track.
You silence every sneaking doubt,
The ones within, the ones without.
Until a champion you may be,
Forever best and forever free.


                        20 Jul 2014 GMW


Fireworks
Flowers of fire light up the night,
Colors so vivid, brief but so bright.
Ephemeral patterns sparkle and fade
Fairy dust scatters, light into shade.
One time a year, a magical hour,
Anticipation adds to its power.
Sublime and inspiring, yet so quickly gone.
Once more just a memory, faded ere dawn.
How many times have I watched in delight
As the flowers of fire light up my night?

                                    4 July 2014 GMW

No comments:

Post a Comment