Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Friday, July 18, 2014

Whoo hoo--it works!

I did it. I can download pix to the little netbook and that means I can share some of them while I am on my trip!! I downloaded just what was in the camera--I had pared it down to a mere 80 very fave images--and they zipped across neat as you please. I am so stoked!

It isn't even dampened despite the fact we had a horrendous storm last night. I think two thunderstorm cells drew together and merged and the varying wind currents really caused a blow. We estimate there was about a half hour of sustained winds near or at the lowest hurricane and tornado strength. That means 70-80 mph!! We had damage to our cooler--now fixed and not too major--and lost shingles off both the house and garage roof. The damage is not imminently threatening but we have to get it fixed. Around town there were trees broken and blown down, a lot of roofs mangled, light metal sheds tossed around, large multi-family trash bins moved a block or more and even some block walls and other fences blown down. Of course the dogs were totally terrorized and I have to admit I would have liked to crawl under the bed myself. Wow, that was a savage and incredible storm. Oddly though we got only a little rain.

A big box of clothing and personal items headed for Alaska today--I got my Wasilla hostess to agree to accept it for me so I do not have to drag a huge suitcase on the plane. It was costly but I think worth it. So the reality of this trip is getting stronger all the time. It is almost out of the dream realm now and into the category of "This is really going to happen."

I'm close to having a 1 September deadline story ready to submit which will be a relief. There is another but I think I can get a little leeway on submitting it. All in all, things are coming together amazingly well. The way it has worked out and what seemed daunting obstacles have somehow been resolved and overcome make me truly believe this is something I was intended to do--that some Divine Power planted the idea in my head last March as the 42nd Iditarod was winding down and now, four months and a bit later, I am less than two weeks from 'blast off'.
I know all of you will be traveling with me in spirit and I do promise to share as much as I can while I am traveling and of course much more in the form of a book or two and some inspired fiction after it is history.

Just for fun here are two not great shots of my brother Charlie and the band he is playing with called High Mesa Dance Band. This was at a dance at the Senior Center here in Alamogordo a week ago tonight. The first is the whole group setting up and the second is Charlie--under the hat--and Joanne Casabella the lead chick singer. Just for spits and giggles!! BTW Charlie is playing one of his Telecasters. He has about 25 guitars of every size, style and kind, both electric and acoustic. He is also learning to play the pedal steel guitar, which is an amazing and complex instrument! Yeah, I am kind of proud of my kid brother! We are both enjoying retirement and doing things we have always loved or dreamed of doing!



No comments:

Post a Comment