Welcome to my World

Welcome to the domain different--to paraphrase from New Mexico's capital city of Santa Fe which bills itself "The City Different." Perhaps this space is not completely unique but my world shapes what I write as well as many other facets of my life. The four Ds figure prominently but there are many other things as well. Here you will learn what makes me tick, what thrills and inspires me, experiences that impact my life and many other antidotes, vignettes and journal notes that set the paradigm for Dierdre O'Dare and her alter ego Gwynn Morgan and the fiction and poetry they write. I sell nothing here--just share with friends and others who may wander in. There will be pictures, poems, observations, rants on occasion and sometimes even jokes. Welcome to our world!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dog Days?

August is often referred to as the 'dog days' of summer. I never did know why. In the southwest it is usually the heart of the monsoon or summer rainy season so the humidity is up and it is not quite the usual 'dry heat' but I will take a bit of stickiness to get the much needed rain, to feel my skin soak up the moisture in the air and because I know the next big  change will be the start of fall. I've always really loved fall in the southwest!

As far as the household K9s go, they don't seem to mind. I got a late start this morning and almost did not take them walking but they conned me into it. First Rojito and Belle--we go down the street about 3 blocks, usually around the big parking lot of the LDS church with a little detour across part of the lovely green grassy lawn and home. Belle loves to walk in the grass. I'm not sure why but she does. When she was younger she liked to roll in it but now getting up and down seems too hard so she stays on her feet.
Of course when we get back from that--we stayed out of the parking area and almost off the grass since people were already gathering for their Sunday services--BB and KC were rearing to go so I had to be fair and take them too--a bit farther and much faster! Duty done LOL.

A few days ago I showed a shot of a silver pendant that resembles the ancient statue found a few years ago and presumed to be a mother goddess figure from prehistoric times. I fell in love with this dainty version and had to have one but there is one of those serendipity stories behind it and it actually starts with dogs!

After I got Rico and then Belle I found and joined two yahoo groups frequented by lovers, breeders and owners of Aussies. I learned a lot and made some neat on-line friends. Among them for awhile was a lady named Devin O'Branagan (www.DevinWrites.com and www.devinobranagan.blogspot.com)  who loves Aussies and has featured one in several of her books--yes, she is also a writer, mystery/romance mostly which of course is something I enjoy. Then she disappeared for awhile after losing a dog but someone else mentioned a neat book she had written called "Show Dog Sings the Blues." It is, of course, about an Aussie or actually two, litter-mates whose lives take very different paths. One becomes a working ranch dog and the other is a show dog. The owners do let them visit occasionally and on one visit, the two who very closely resemble each other, are inadvertently switched! Both are appalled at the lives they find themselves dumped into and the story is by turns hilarious and tear-jerking. A happy ending of course! Well, I got the book and did an Amazon review and corresponded a bit with Devin. On her web site--since she also writes some YA paranormal tales, she had a section of jewelry, mostly themed on the YA books. I've not read any of them but do plan to as they sound very good. But there was also a few goddess or new age pieces, one of which was the little pendant. It is now no longer featured but if anyone wants one, I will try to track down a souce!

Now some more weird/odd stuff! It turns out the seller is in Bisbee, AZ which is where my sons live and where I met and married my late husband and lived for a few years myself! When I got a little package last summer from Bisbee I was amazed! I of course emailed the jeweler back and had we moved back to Arizona instead of here in New Mexico--the move was still up in the air at that time--I would have gone to see her by now. I still plan to whenever I make that long-delayed trip over to see family and friends.

Yet one more loop to this Celtic knot. I am also a fan/reader of J.A.Jance, especially her Joanna Brady series that is set in and around Bisbee since the heroine is the Sheriff of Cochise in that series. We also have corresponded a bit and I get her newsletter. Today she is in Bisbee signing her newest book and I am disappointed I cannot be there too. But here is the neat part--on her website there is a picture of a dog on a table of her books and --get this!--it looks enough like Rojito to be a litter mate! That dog is older and her name is Bella; she was a rescue adopted by J.A. (who now lives in Seattle area) and her hubby and she is at least part dachshund. I just shake my head while "Outer Limits" music plays in the background! Isn't life strange?!? (But I love it!!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wow, wow!! This gave me shivers of the most delicious sort. 'Course, we both know there is no such thing as coincidence. The wheel is always turning...
    Great piece!

    ReplyDelete